MC3 Other Idea (or "It was HOW cold???!!??")

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited February 21, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Every other Friday my daughter rehearses with a dance troupe - the teacher has an amazing house out in the country with tons of space... and a bhudda in the garden. What better than to stand in the 27 degree (with 10 degree windchill) weather and take pictures? ! My husband isn't sure if he's impressed or simply wants a do-over... and a warmer jacket (since he stood out there with me to hold the bags and help out, bless him!)

It's the first time I've tried this "paint with light" thing and it was kinda fun (and a great use for my ollldddd flash, because it has a manual "test" button and I could fire it by hand :thumb)

Not sure I've really got the hang of it, but figured I'd post out of due diligence if nothing else (so at least I won't be 2nd-guessing myself quite so badly if and when I finally post an entry!!!!)

1. I had NO idea that the camera was picking up these attempts at backlighting, and it was pure luck this one was situated where it is (it was PITCH BLACK - none of this stuff was really visible to the naked eye)

477518429_gQSob-L.jpg

2. Then this one. I'm not happy with the crop (yet), but for the time being

477541182_HGp2C-L-0.jpg

Thoughts? No offense will be taken if you want to tell me these completely and totally stink - it was fun to try the technique (despite the cold!) so I'm happy to have done them even if they never see the light of day again after this! :thumb

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    What fun!

I like the Foreground in #1 and the eerie background in #2.

Other than that I think it was a marvelous idea to attempt! and I also think you could go further with it, if you weren't just freezin being there!

tom
    tom wise
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    I like both. But you already have a strong entry for the challenge.

On the first one, the star looks a little overpowering. I'm wondering if you can perhaps recoup some detail from the darker area without it adversely affecting that star. headscratch.gif

The lighting on the second one is really nice. But it's missing "something". I'd try different actions on it to see what makes it pop. Maybe try applying an Orton effect to it?

Psst....if you run out of ideas, I can loan you a mannequin face. rolleyes1.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    Thanks both!
    richtersl wrote:
    I like both. But you already have a strong entry for the challenge.

On the first one, the star looks a little overpowering. I'm wondering if you can perhaps recoup some detail from the darker area without it adversely affecting that star. headscratch.gif

The lighting on the second one is really nice. But it's missing "something". I'd try different actions on it to see what makes it pop. Maybe try applying an Orton effect to it?

Psst....if you run out of ideas, I can loan you a mannequin face. rolleyes1.gif

HA!! How about you put the buddha behind the church and do a pan-spiritual psychadelic experience?!

I actually prefer the reading shot myself, but I had promised myself I would try this since I knew we were going to be out there (I had also wanted to do star trails out there because it was a SPECTACULAR sky last night, but it was just too $&U&$(!*# cold and we gave up to get warm :giggle)

That said, Orton effect might be interesting - I'll play with some treatments today and see if Buddha can be made to pop biggrinbounce2.gif
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    2 is great but it need some straightening and cropping, maye a little PP
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section