Options

Sharpening

benkrutbenkrut Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited February 21, 2009 in Finishing School
hi
i'm a step from signing up to smugmug but have some doubts about sharpenning the photos before posting them here.
when i upload a file the system generates smaller versions of the file - isn't it neccessary to apply different values in USM to get good results? Also when selling digital files, the image can't be sharpenned (can?), so I'd need to have several versions of one file posted...
How do you guys deal with it? Could you give me some examples of USM settings you apply for 10-12MP photos?
Thanks
HS

Comments

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    Smugmug "auto-sharpens" your images for display on the screen, but the amount of sharpening is totally up to you - it's customizable in each gallery. I've never had a problem with sharpness for the on-screen versions.

Proof-delay is a smugmug feature as well. If you turn it on (say 3 days), when someone orders prints from you you've got 3 days to make sure you're happy with the quality. If not, you can upload a replacement for it. This might be a way to handle your sharpening concerns, though I've never had problems with the sharpness of my prints either.

PS - Make sure when you sign up that you use someone's referral code to get $5 for you and $10 for them. If you don't know any one else's to use you're welcome to use mine! AfVT1ZL8TROgg