Newish born - Anna @ 1month old.

cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
edited March 22, 2009 in People
Always love to hear Constructive Criticism!
Thanks for looking!

477381059_i9GQE-L.jpg

477380551_zUjTA-L.jpg

477401842_FWyWL-L.jpg

477402764_tDgjH-L.jpg

477399098_Dvqkx-L.jpg

477394485_eGqw3-L.jpg

477393986_mfKar-L.jpg

477393626_HNzFa-L.jpg

477389040_7SWEC-L.jpg

477384849_wUfqC-L.jpg

477386515_aw7Zi-L.jpg

Comments

• clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Wow! Very nice seriesclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • cdmiltoncdmilton Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Very nice! What did you use for lighting?
  • manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Very nice technically, although the facial expression in that second one is kind of freaky... eek7.gif
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
  • cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Wow! Very nice seriesclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

:DThank you very much!
    edited February 23, 2009
    cdmilton wrote:
    Very nice! What did you use for lighting?

Thank you! Believe it or not, but I just used my 430ex bounced off the ceiling! I had to reduce reds a little bit, but other wise found them really well colored!:D
    edited February 23, 2009
    manbou wrote:
    Very nice technically, although the facial expression in that second one is kind of freaky... eek7.gif

Thank you! Baby facial expressions, it's funny, to an outsider it's freaky, to mom and dad, it's endearing! lol Thanks for looking!
  • barbnjonbarbnjon Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Sweet photos! Was your flash on or off camera? Nice job. I'm sure the parents were happy.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    10 is absolutely superb, were you in front of a window? amazing eye light in that one!

in 1, 4, and 6 especially, you can see the "raccoon" effect from bouncing straight up. Try directing the light upwards in a 45 degree angle behind you if the wall is neutral, if not, there's a lot to be said for BW!

The color ones look a bit too magenta and/or oversaturated to my eye. Baby pink is tough. The skin texture looks amazing though!

Lovely series!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • cdmiltoncdmilton Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    cdonovan wrote:
    Thank you! Believe it or not, but I just used my 430ex bounced off the ceiling! I had to reduce reds a little bit, but other wise found them really well colored!:D

Impressive! I need to get a lot better with using mine.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Such a precious child! 1 and 8 are probably my favorites of the bunch :)
    edited February 24, 2009
    barbnjon wrote:
    Sweet photos! Was your flash on or off camera? Nice job. I'm sure the parents were happy.

I'm still learning flashie stuff, so still have it aboard my camera, I hope to get a remote thingie ding sometime soon though! lolrolleyes1.gif
    edited February 24, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:
    10 is absolutely superb, were you in front of a window? amazing eye light in that one!

in 1, 4, and 6 especially, you can see the "raccoon" effect from bouncing straight up. Try directing the light upwards in a 45 degree angle behind you if the wall is neutral, if not, there's a lot to be said for BW!

The color ones look a bit too magenta and/or oversaturated to my eye. Baby pink is tough. The skin texture looks amazing though!

Lovely series!

I'll definitely try that, (the 45 angle) but am thinking that is something that has to be done with a remote, off camera thingie, right! I'm excited, we do an almost weekly session (she is my niece!) so I learn from one week to the next, it's been great for my skillz!

Thanks for the compliment on #8, it's with the same set up, black backdrop and flash pointing to the sky! It's a relatively low ceiling, maybe that helps?

You are probably right on the baby pink...I'll see what I can do to take some of that out! I really appreciate your comments!:D
    edited February 24, 2009
    Shima wrote:
    Such a precious child! 1 and 8 are probably my favorites of the bunch :)
    I may be biased, cause she's my niece, but I agree with you. She's as easy going as she is cute! thumb.gif Thanks for the compliments!
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    cdonovan wrote:
    I'll definitely try that, (the 45 angle) but am thinking that is something that has to be done with a remote, off camera thingie, right!

No off camera needed. Just instead of tilting your flash UP, tilt it to bounce off of a wall behind you. Someone help me if i'm not explaining this right rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    Nice comps, good lighting...what needs fixed is the over skin smoothing as it looks like noise ninja or neat image gave the artificial plastic look. Take it from someone who loves skin smoothing :D:D:D:D. Since you asked....Laughing.gif Also...the color ones...too much magenta...other than that they are adorable
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited March 1, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:
    No off camera needed. Just instead of tilting your flash UP, tilt it to bounce off of a wall behind you. Someone help me if i'm not explaining this right rolleyes1.gif
    My flash must have limited mobility...it doesn't spin around like that?headscratch.gif At least I don't think it does! I'll have to check it out! c::D
    edited March 1, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Nice comps, good lighting...what needs fixed is the over skin smoothing as it looks like noise ninja or neat image gave the artificial plastic look. Take it from someone who loves skin smoothing :D:D:D:D. Since you asked....Laughing.gif Also...the color ones...too much magenta...other than that they are adorable
    That's exactly the stuff that I need to hear, I go a little overboard a lot with the noise programs...It's good to know when I've crossed the lines.

I havve a few from the series that I feel are better colored...but anyone who sees them, (the mom etc, think that the color is better in the ones that I posted...it's hard to convince them otherwise....Here's an example of something that I considered was better color balance..but they didn't like it!?ne_nau.gif
    477400764_QCG8H-XL.jpg
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    cdonovan wrote:
    That's exactly the stuff that I need to hear, I go a little overboard a lot with the noise programs...It's good to know when I've crossed the lines.

I havve a few from the series that I feel are better colored...but anyone who sees them, (the mom etc, think that the color is better in the ones that I posted...it's hard to convince them otherwise....Here's an example of something that I considered was better color balance..but they didn't like it!?ne_nau.gif
    477400764_QCG8H-XL.jpg[IMG][/img]

Hi Chris. To me this one looks more magenta than the others - but I'm away and using my laptop (not a calibrated monitor) so it's not a fair evaluation.

Tomorrow is portrait day with my two grandchildren - so wish me luck. I"m WAAYYY more nervous doing them than I would be with total strangers. Plus, my daughter-in-law was a professional model in Europe and worked for several well known photographers - gulp. Luckily, she's a sweetie and will actually help me :)

Lovely set of your pretty niece.

C.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • rgaetanorgaetano Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    What backdrop did you use? Is this black muslin or a bed sheet or did you post process the image to darken the background?

I find the black or white backdrops create pleasing effects on baby photos.

I'd like to know what you used for yours.

Nice job.