Playing the Self-Portrait Game Again.

TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
edited February 25, 2009 in People
Accidentally deleted the content while bumping it... :-)

Comments

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Just playing around this weekend... While it was cold and rainy out, I figured I shoot a couple SPs for kicks. I need to get out more. rolleyes1.gif C&C welcomed!

1. Torn Coffee (and I'm not a coffee drinker headscratch.gif )
    478443824_SHFHR-L-1.jpg

2. Highkey Goofiness
    478443804_2hdwD-L-1.jpg
    edited February 23, 2009
    Really? No one? ne_nau.gif
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Travis, I really like the frist photo the best. The only C I have is the right side of the photo seems to be over exposed to much (for my taste). The background work very well on this photo as well.

The second photo the shirt is again over exposed for my taste, maybe tone that down a little it would work better.
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
    edited February 24, 2009
    Travis, I really like the frist photo the best. The only C I have is the right side of the photo seems to be over exposed to much (for my taste). The background work very well on this photo as well.

The second photo the shirt is again over exposed for my taste, maybe tone that down a little it would work better.

Thank you Clemens. I was actually going for the blown out highlights in the second to try something different. I appreciate the feedback!
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Travis wrote:
    Thank you Clemens. I was actually going for the blown out highlights in the second to try something different. I appreciate the feedback!

I like your experiments. It's the only way you will find what's what really works for you. I was once told to go beyond what I thought was right in PP until I didn't like it and then back off. Otherwise, you may not know if you have maximized your image.

The second one has potential where ever you are looking to add a little artistic flair to an image...a little less or a little more as fits the image.

Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited February 24, 2009
    Thanks Ed. I agree that we need to step outside of the bounds every once in awhile to discover something new. I figure it is much better practicing on myself than on a client :D
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    I agree, I think #1 is the better version of the two - but boy do you have some blue eyes!! :D

In my opinion you blew your white shirt too much in #2 (even though I know you were shooting for a high key look). I'm also not sure about the border, mostly because it makes the photo look awkwardly clopped (on the right side) ... if you know what I mean ... I know it's just kind of an illusion, but it lakes me think that the two side edges are not parallel. ne_nau.gif

But I do like that you're off centered in both thumb.gif
    edited February 25, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    I agree, I think #1 is the better version of the two - but boy do you have some blue eyes!! :D

In my opinion you blew your white shirt too much in #2 (even though I know you were shooting for a high key look). I'm also not sure about the border, mostly because it makes the photo look awkwardly clopped (on the right side) ... if you know what I mean ... I know it's just kind of an illusion, but it lakes me think that the two side edges are not parallel. ne_nau.gif

But I do like that you're off centered in both thumb.gif

Thanks Agnieska (ha! I'm learning to spell your real name :D ). I figured blowing out the whites in the second wouldn't be appealling to all. It was more of an experiment to see things different and open up possibilities for other types of shots and models. It seems that I have been stuck in a rut lately doing the same hum-drum things and this started getting me thinking in other directions. I really appreciate the feedback and sorry for throwing you off-kilter with the borders rolleyes1.gif .
    edited February 25, 2009
    Travis wrote:
    Thanks Agnieska (ha! I'm learning to spell your real name :D ). I figured blowing out the whites in the second wouldn't be appealling to all. It was more of an experiment to see things different and open up possibilities for other types of shots and models. It seems that I have been stuck in a rut lately doing the same hum-drum things and this started getting me thinking in other directions. I really appreciate the feedback and sorry for throwing you off-kilter with the borders rolleyes1.gif .

rolleyes1.gif Thanks for trying Travis .... but shhhhttttt .... you are still missing a "Z" ... I know many people don't believe in it, but it's AgniesZka :Diloveyou.gif

Don't get me wrong, I looooooovvvveeee high-key kinda shots! And I think it works well with the rest of the photo, but I think it's too strong on the shirt. I am pretty sure it would work great with an other photo ... maybe I think there are too many things going on? headscratch.gif not sure ... The pose is more business-like ... the background too playful (for a "business-type shot"), and the high key makes is all feel a bit too heaven-ish? I would definitely try to apply it on an other pic, but for this one I think the b&w / sepia would work best for me :D
    edited February 25, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif Thanks for trying Travis .... but shhhhttttt .... you are still missing a "Z" ... I know many people don't believe in it, but it's AgniesZka :Diloveyou.gif

Don't get me wrong, I looooooovvvveeee high-key kinda shots! And I think it works well with the rest of the photo, but I think it's too strong on the shirt. I am pretty sure it would work great with an other photo ... maybe I think there are too many things going on? headscratch.gif not sure ... The pose is more business-like ... the background too playful (for a "business-type shot"), and the high key makes is all feel a bit too heaven-ish? I would definitely try to apply it on an other pic, but for this one I think the b&w / sepia would work best for me :D

A-G-N-I-E-S-Z-K-A - I will keep repeating until I get it right! rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 25, 2009
    Travis wrote:
    A-G-N-I-E-S-Z-K-A - I will keep repeating until I get it right! rolleyes1.gif

rolleyes1.gifwings.gifrofl