MC3 last minute frets and changes??? Vote Please

Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
edited February 24, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I went out last night because I don't feel my entry is strong enough...I don't know if what I ended up with last night is strong enough either BUT it is all I got. I don't know wich one to enter now??? Please vote:

1. A Magical Evening (current entry I feel is not good enough...)
475206048_C7CVo-L.jpg

2. Peering into the night (to me says "night" a little better, don't know if it is over all better though...
478511522_nXhdH-L.jpg

3. Peering into the night ( a different angle)
478511376_xoPVe-L.jpg

Thanks so much for your help.
"Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."

My MC3 entry should be: 19 votes

Number 1
42% 8 votes
Number 2
47% 9 votes
Number 3
10% 2 votes

Comments

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    I'm probably not much help because I really like your current entry and I really like #2 (the first b&W). They are both so different and both really nice. I like the current entry maybe just the slightest bit more because it is different from other entries.

Sherry
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    Karrie,
    I really, REALLY like #2. #1 definitely says "night" but it's not as strong of a photo as #2 in my opinion. I love the processing and treatment on #2... excellent job!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    I voted for numba one simply because it was your first entry and thought and it is a really fun photo!

But these other two are very very print worthy!

tom
    tom wise
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    Thats wierd, I can't see the results to my own pole ne_nau.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    I see the dilemma!

#2 above is AWESOME but Pyro has just been putting together a similar shot, and I really REALLY like your Disney one. In other words... I am no help at all rolleyes1.gif

Good luck deciding!

PS You have to manually set a close date for the poll - you can't see it until after then (they did it like that to accommodate the DSS voting polls)
    edited February 22, 2009
    opps, well, don't vote then because I can't see it :D
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    If you remember, the polls were changed so that for the challenges we can no longer see how other people voted until the voting has ended. This is so people could vote based on their own decisions rather than be influenced by how other people have voted. Whatever setting was done to achieve this has affected all the polls in the Challenges forum. This is why you cannot see the votes for your pics.

Regarding the photo -- stick with your current entry. deal.gif
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    I really like #1 too. I like the color and composition of it. The others are OK but kinda boring to me ne_nau.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • BillyTomBillyTom Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    Since it's down to the wire and you can't see the poll, I thought it better to let you know I voted for #2, I think it brings out the essence of "night"....fwiw :D
    Bill James
    www.BillJamesPhotography.com
    Attempting to find beauty in the simple things!! :huh
    Nikon D80 - Nikkor 55-200 4-5.6 VR &
    Nikkor 18-70 3.5-4.5
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    I voted for #2 as well, because when I think night, I think mysterious and dark, and this one even hints at infinity (I also really like the composition). But I think if you want a Disneyed version of night and all the connotations that go with being a Disney version, go for #1 :)
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    2 for me as well. though the sky may need a bit of work - got a lot of pixelation up there
    E
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I see the dilemma!

#2 above is AWESOME but Pyro has just been putting together a similar shot, and I really REALLY like your Disney one. In other words... I am no help at all rolleyes1.gif

Good luck deciding!

PS You have to manually set a close date for the poll - you can't see it until after then (they did it like that to accommodate the DSS voting polls)

I have been, though the shots are pretty different except for the general subject =c)

I gotta say i like 2&3 better than #1, but #1 has never been a style i was into. I think #3 is probably a little more dramatic.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    I gotta say i like 2&3 better than #1, but #1 has never been a style i was into. I think #3 is probably a little more dramatic.

ok, I wondered if I was the only one. I like #3.
    For me, it has less of the dead space around it and pulls my eys right down the pier.
    But then I really like #1 also...
    oh well, I'm no help.
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    also, how did you to this lighting?
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    I voted for your current entry. It's simply magical.
    edited February 23, 2009
    Thanks everyone! I decided to stay with the disney one just because after looking at all the fantastic entries I realized it didn't really matter which one I put up. None of them come close to touching most all of the entries up there...

I had a lot of fun and am happy that I got some cool images out of this.

I like number 3 the best but if I was going to enter one of the piers it would have been number 2. I made a big mistake with number 3 and that is that I didn't get the angle where the pier leg (the main big one that draws most of your attention) and the pier itself actually meet. Therefore, it draws my eyes out of the picture. If I would have got that angle in there, my eye would have been able to stay in the photo following up the pier leg and then over ontop of the pier all the way out into the darkness... o well... it still is a very neat photo and I know what to go for next time I go back.

As for the lighting, I was on a 30s shutter so I got a lot of the ambient from the boardwalk that was a little ways back behind the camera. Also, because of the 30 sec shutter spead I was able to walk around in the photo with a couple small cheap flashes and flash the heck out of the pier and water. That gave me two diff. color light sources so I made the photo a two tone black and white.

Again, thank you all very much for the input!!! iloveyou.gif
    edited February 23, 2009
    quick off the topic question...

the last two days when I have been trying to get on dgin it takes me to a completely different website.... is this happening to anyone else?
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Karrie McD wrote:

the last two days when I have been trying to get on dgin it takes me to a completely different website.... is this happening to anyone else?

Not to me (yet), but if you go to the dgrin support subforum you'll see that people have had problems. I type www.dgrin.com, but others who just use dgrin.com have been getting redirects, apparently....
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Karrie McD wrote:

Yeah redirects!! In fact it almost kept me out of the challenges (MC3), due to no way to upload....got up early this a.m. and got it done..wonder if the redirect is just an East Coast thing?
    tom wise
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    I feel your #2 is the strongest image of the bunch. The 'Disney' shot doesn't work with the theme of night for me at least. I feel that image is too colorfull and distracting, there is no subject to me atleast.

The second shot, has a subject, direction, and is easier on the eyes. It drives my eyes to the blackness of the night. A bridge that leads into the abyss of the dark. I would submit #2 instead.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...