Got one!!! Would love some feedback

The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
edited February 24, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Night Terrors.

478725303_74UFY-L.jpg

479059385_5mgrT-L.jpg

As a kid I use to have nightmares and thought of this shot. I got a few more to work with if I need them but what do you think so far?

Thanks

Peace,gail

Comments

• dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    It gave me chills to look at. Wickedly good.
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    It gave me chills to look at. Wickedly good.

Oh My that's good, :D , I think. Thanks so much for the encouragement.

peace always, gail
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif

Fantastic!

Of course, now I just want to delete my own entry and slink into a corner, but that's my problem not yours (andplease take it as the compliment it is intended to be!!!)
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    That really got me lol! It somehow reminds me of Fuseli's The Night Mare painting. I wonder how it would look with the eyes staring straight out at us? It kind of leads my gaze out of the picture atm because the eyes point to the right.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    I think you're onto something. mwink.gif

It took a while for me to see the child, though, because the trees were obscuring him/her. How about "fading" the night scene into the scene with the child so that we can see the child more clearly?

Just thought of another way you can go with this. When I saw your picture I thought of "The Night Has a Thousand Eyes". I knew it was an old song but it wasn't until I googled it that I found out it was also a movie with Edward G. Robinson.

Just some more food for thought.....:D
    edited February 22, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif

Fantastic!

Of course, now I just want to delete my own entry and slink into a corner, but that's my problem not yours (andplease take it as the compliment it is intended to be!!!)

Aww, you are so sweet, your entry is wonderful and don't lay a finger on that delete button!!!

You guys are making me feel pretty wonderful right now I had such wonderful visions for lots of other images that didn't work for weather, appointments, pain, etc, etc. Oh well.
    Peace, gail
    edited February 22, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    That really got me lol! It somehow reminds me of Fuseli's The Night Mare painting. I wonder how it would look with the eyes staring straight out at us? It kind of leads my gaze out of the picture atm because the eyes point to the right.

Thank you so much, you make a good point. Unfortunately my little model is unavailable, homework and stuff. Your imput is much appreciated.

peace, gail
    edited February 22, 2009
    richtersl wrote:

It took a while for me to see the child, though, because the trees were obscuring him/her. How about "fading" the night scene into the scene with the child so that we can see the child more clearly?

Just thought of another way you can go with this. When I saw your picture I thought of "The Night Has a Thousand Eyes". I knew it was an old song but it wasn't until I googled it that I found out it was also a movie with Edward G. Robinson.

I'll try and do that. I was afraid of having the opacity to high and take away from the creepiness of it but I'll change that and put it up and see what you think.

Thanks Linda.

Peace, gail
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    richtersl wrote:

I thought of that too, but in a way I see it as seeing everything the poor child is seeing.
    edited February 22, 2009
    Thank you so much, you make a good point. Unfortunately my little model is unavailable, homework and stuff. Your imput is much appreciated.

peace, gail

Oh, no, I had meant the big eyes, not the child's. The first thing everybody sees are those eyes, and they lead us out of the picture because they're pointed to the right (which makes it hard to see the child). You can also try to flip those eyes so the line of sight directs us to the child. Just my two cents though ^_^
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    Could you simply do a horizontal flip so the eyes are looking toward the child instead of away? Just a thought...
    edited February 22, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Could you simply do a horizontal flip so the eyes are looking toward the child instead of away? Just a thought...

great idea, I'll try
    edited February 22, 2009
    I'll try and do that. I was afraid of having the opacity to high and take away from the creepiness of it but I'll change that and put it up and see what you think.

Thanks Linda.

Peace, gail

Add a layer mask to the layer with the eyes and the trees on it. Then play with the gradient tool on the layer mask. That should do it.
    edited February 22, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Add a layer mask to the layer with the eyes and the trees on it. Then play with the gradient tool on the layer mask. That should do it.

Linda, my computer has been crashing all day and not sure why. I just rebooted.
    I am embarrassed to say I'm not sure I know how to do what you are saying. I am self taught and I really don't that much photoshop. You might need to talk to me as your student. ne_nau.gif

peace, gail
    edited February 22, 2009
    Hmmmm...you might try defragging your hard drive but don't try it while you're in the middle of getting this done because it takes a while.

OK, I'm assuming that the child is one layer and that the tree scene with the eyes is another layer. If the tree scene is multiple layers, merge those layers. You should now have two layers: the tree layer and the sleeping child layer. Make the sleeping child layer the bottom layer. Then follow what this guy does here in steps 1 - 5 to blend two layers, except you probably don't want to switch the blending mode to Overlay: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Grunge-style-layer-tutorial-4882

Hope this helps somewhat.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    great idea, i like it!
    if it has not been mentioned i would say make the child B&W...or de-sat a little.
    just my .02
    Aaron Nelson
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    great idea, very different from the rest and an awesome image!
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    Great idea...very spooky!

Nice job.

Sherry
    edited February 22, 2009
    Thanks everyone for your help. I have had so many problems tonight I would love to just throw something out the window. :cry I lost my psd file. I have started AND almost finished several different versions and photoshop keeps just shutting down. I think I'll have to reload but am very frustrated and pooped.

I am going to make this entry before I loose everything else and try reloading cs3 and hopefully fixing whatever is wrong. If I can stay up all night I'll try some of your wonderful suggestions.

I like to be prepared but I certainly have not been for this.

I'll keep working. If you think of anything other adjustments please comment.

Again you are all the best bunch of folks I have had the pleasure of competing with. Good luck to all of you.

Peace always, gail:D
    edited February 23, 2009
    Just wanted to give a shout out and say thanks again for everyone's help.

I ended up staying up till 4:00am trying to get some other versions. I wanted to change my entry to the b/w one and ended up falling asleep and getting up until after the challenge closed. Oh well.

Thanks to Linda for the link. I have marked it and will practice for next time. I was so frustrated last night crashing all the time I apologize if I didn't respond right away.

Amazing, imaginative and memorable entries. I'm thankful to stand among such talent and skill.

Peace, gail
  • Pistis SophiaPistis Sophia Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 23, 2009
    double shot
    You know it is funny. When Ifirst started out in photography - when ever a customer had a negaitive that an over lapping technique like this on their prints whoever was on duty would get yelled at. This type of photo style is great but you have to be careful you don't what to lose the mood.

The shot is too busy. I like the trees. I like the fact you have a child in the shot. The other colors don't motivate me and I don't get the two eyes in the middle of the shot.

Try this next time. Same type of photo. same kid but have the child haunting in the woods walking towards you. (vertical) choose a blanket that does not have lines in it. Then I think you will have more of a dramatic effect.

later.

478725303_74UFY-L.jpg

479059385_5mgrT-L.jpg

As a kid I use to have nightmares and thought of this shot. I got a few more to work with if I need them but what do you think so far?

Thanks

Peace,gail[/quote]
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    You know it is funny. When Ifirst started out in photography - when ever a customer had a negaitive that an over lapping technique like this on their prints whoever was on duty would get yelled at. This type of photo style is great but you have to be careful you don't what to lose the mood.

The shot is too busy. I like the trees. I like the fact you have a child in the shot. The other colors don't motivate me and I don't get the two eyes in the middle of the shot.

Try this next time. Same type of photo. same kid but have the child haunting in the woods walking towards you. (vertical) choose a blanket that does not have lines in it. Then I think you will have more of a dramatic effect.

later.

478725303_74UFY-L.jpg

479059385_5mgrT-L.jpg

Thanks

Peace,gail
    [/quote]

I think the second one works well because the child is not obscured. Great job can't wait to see the final result.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
    edited February 24, 2009
    Great job on the edit! The second one is way better. Good luck on the challenge!!