Test shots

AguadulceAguadulce Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
edited February 23, 2009 in Holy Macro
First tests with off camera flash.

The bee's nest is on the light over my work table. Hard to focus moving bees.

Shot in manual, 1/200, f5.6 and f8

IMG_44061.jpg

IMG_44081.jpg

IMG_44151.jpg
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Comments welcome and thank you for looking.
Cheers,
Mike

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Wish I had something like that to do tests on (I think). Nice ones-
    Last 2 shots look a bit bright and contrasty do you have a diffuser in the flash head ?

Brian V.
  • AguadulceAguadulce Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Thank you for the comment.

I have a paper towel over the flash head and I had the flash set to 1/2 power. Maybe I need to try 1/4 power or make a diffuser from a plastic carton.

I was standing on the table to get the shots, a little nervous about getting too close. I have not been stung by this type, but there are some here that will get your attention!!

Thanks for looking.
    Cheers,
    Mike
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    You are very brave, I hate wasps - they are just mean. So glad to hear you got this close without being stung. That is amazing to me eek7.gif

I really like the last shot a lot. You could probably bring the colors out more by adjusting your black point to make your blacks black instead of dark grey.

I don't know how you have your paper towel on the flash, but if you just have it wrapped on maybe try putting it on a cup and putting the cup on the flash. That would give you more diffused and larger square inches of light without just eating up the light and not really diffusing it. ne_nau.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • AguadulceAguadulce Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    darkdragon wrote:
    You are very brave, I hate wasps - they are just mean. So glad to hear you got this close without being stung. That is amazing to me eek7.gif

I really like the last shot a lot. You could probably bring the colors out more by adjusting your black point to make your blacks black instead of dark grey.

I don't know how you have your paper towel on the flash, but if you just have it wrapped on maybe try putting it on a cup and putting the cup on the flash. That would give you more diffused and larger square inches of light without just eating up the light and not really diffusing it. ne_nau.gif

Thank you,

I need to learn more about the post processing, these were only resized.

I just have a paper towel taped over the flash, I will try something different. I made the "L" bracket for the flash, so I will drill some new holes so I can change the distance and angle of the flash.

The flash came with a Wide Angle Diffuser, did not change much by it's self, but maybe I should try it under the paper towel.

Cheers,
    Cheers,
    Mike