Options

Need Help!

SteelafanSteelafan Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
edited February 28, 2009 in Technique
Do these photos look crooked or am I just seeing things different? To me they all look off. This is a new trend I have been noticing latley. What could I be doing wrong??? Maybe I have not noticed it untill now but this is driving me crazy!! :huh

474356530_2NKqk-L.jpg

474357867_Um5Ue-L.jpg

474359124_TLMxP-L.jpg

This is really starting to bother me. Is it possible the camera could be damaged or am I crazy? :pissed
:patch Searching for that one shot that counts. The never ending quest to make people say "wow".:huh

http://asphotoworks.com

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Yup - the verticals don't look vertical to me. The cause? Can't even begin to guess what causes you to do this. I (consistantly and chronically) have this problem - my shots are usually anywhere between 0.8 and 1.7 degrees from square. For me, it's because my eyes are not in my head straight. The only chance I have of getting it right is if I line up a couple of focus points along either a vertical or a horizontal. If I forget ..... well that's just one of the things I know I need to fix in post.
  • Options
    RayLarsonRayLarson Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    I turn on the guides in the viewfinder. It has helped a lot. I am not on the level most of the time. :ivar
    Ray Larson
    Nikon D80, D300, D700 all gripped, Nikkor 50 f1.8 Nikkor 18-200 VR Nikkor 70-200 VR f2.8 Nikkor 28-300 VR, Sigma 50-150 f2.8 Sigma 80-400 OS Sigma 150-500 OS Nikon SB600
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2009
    guides? :confused
    :patch Searching for that one shot that counts. The never ending quest to make people say "wow".:huh

• Options
    frelfrel Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    I think that he refers to the extra lines (generally the classic 3 third matrix) you can activate on some DSLR (Nokia does that in recent models). If like me you have a canon then use the focus points as guides. to align the vertical or horizontal lines (on line as to go through at least two points that are aligned on the viewfinder).
    This is the best you can do if you are using the viewfinder free handed. But as Scott said it is easy to forget it and then most post processing software save the day.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 24, 2009
    The best way to avoid these kinds of problems, is to keep your sensor plane perfectly vertical. The easiest way to always accomplish this, is with a bubble level mounted in your hot shoe, with your camera on a tripod.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    The best way to avoid these kinds of problems, is to keep your sensor plane perfectly vertical. The easiest way to always accomplish this, is with a bubble level mounted in your hot shoe, with your camera on a tripod.

15524779-Ti.gif with Pathy and those above........
    YUP.....YUP......YUP.....leaning a litle to the right........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 27, 2009
    I went back a couple of days ago. Notice the ground I was standing on actually has a slight tilt to it. Didn't notice untill I went back for round 2.

Oh well.ne_nau.gif

• Options
    BobbyMarshallBobbyMarshall Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    Do you use photoshop and/or lightroom? there is a ruler tool, which helps level off your framing. As long as you know there is or should be a straight line perpendicular to your view.
    Canon 50D | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    2x White Lightning x1600 | 580 EXII
    Sekonic L-358 | 2x Pocket Wizard II | TC-80N3 Remote Shutter

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 28, 2009
    The important thing is not really just keeping the verticals vertical, but preventing the changes due to perspective if your sensor plane itself varies from vertical when shooting architectural subjects.

Even if you have the sides of your frame perfectly parallel to the sides of the buildings, you can still have your sensor plane out of vertical if you are not careful. This will cause the buildings to look like they are falling backward. This is MUCH more noticeable with wide angle shots, and much less apparent with telephoto shots.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin