WRC - Sardinia (rally cars)

GarrettGarrett Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
edited March 2, 2009 in Sports
Had a once in a lifetime opportunity to attend the World Rally Championship in Sardinia during a trip to Italy last may. I've been a long time fan of this type of racing and never thought I'd get to see the WRC in person. I only really had Sunday to get shots as Saturday was lost to driving in circles and missing stages and service by minutes. Planning ahead and a knowledge of the area is a huge plus as the viewing points for stages are at specific locations on back roads accessed from others back roads. They often involve a good walk as well. It seemed optimistic to see the factory backed rally cars in more than two stages in one day. By the time the last factory car finishes a stage, the first one is already starting the next stage or finishing service. Sunday worked out well as I had a simple game plan - one stage, service, and the final ceremony.

Here are some pictures (comments and critiques welcome):

478727160_fWzcD-L.jpg

478714384_4CjMW-L.jpg

478734776_c6sSV-L.jpg

480325052_byNZV-L.jpg

478745891_bpouR-L.jpg

478705162_9tw6i-L.jpg

7. Petter Solberg leaving service for the final stages of the rally (He had a rough couple days)
478750686_XBuc4-L.jpg

480328030_4Hzh7-L.jpg

480393202_nbtHP-L.jpg

10. Sebatian Loeb wins
478762187_MMoHY-L.jpg

478761779_QcsVS-L.jpg

Full gallery here: WRC Sardinia

Comments

• jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    congrats some nice pics - i love WRC too - but last time i went was some years ago! the Swedish rally in the snow (some 9years ago i think)

surprised you managed to get on the outside of some of the corners - guess there were no marshalls around that area??

Cheers, Jase
  • GarrettGarrett Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    jasonstone wrote:
    congrats some nice pics - i love WRC too - but last time i went was some years ago! the Swedish rally in the snow (some 9years ago i think)

surprised you managed to get on the outside of some of the corners - guess there were no marshalls around that area??

Cheers, Jase
    The first set of pictures was actually taken behind the red tape in an area that was permitted. I think the only reason it was allowed at this corner was because it was literally taken at about 5mph. I’m not sure it would have mattered, as the marshals seemed to lose their authority as the rally went on. That rally Sweden must have been great. I'd love to see one of the snow rallies.