Options

Validating SessionID with method ?

devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
Hey Don,

I am trying to do some cleanup work around SessionID reuse. At moment, I just try to use the previous SessionID (if the user hasn't logged out)...if the SessionID has timed out obviously, I need to either get the user to log in or use the password hash if I have it stored.

My question is, would it be possible to provide a method that can valid whether a SessionID for a particular user is valid ? To save having to put additional error handling in other method calls, and more importantly to prevent making multiple calls which will all fail if the SessionID has timed out.

Cheers,

David
David Parry
SmugMug API Developer
My Photos

Comments

• Options
    jberd126jberd126 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2005
    David,

You should be able to use one of the lighter calls and if it returns an error you will know. For example, you could use smugmug.users.getType (or the older smugmug.accounts.getType) and it should return error code 4 (Invalid user) for a stale SessionID.

However, there appears to be a bug (at least with REST calls) where stale SessionIDs incorrectly return error code 18 (invalid API key). I made mention of this last week in a post for smugmug.users.getTree. It appears that it shows up in other calls as well.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=107964#post107964

-J