Behind "Nyx"

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited February 26, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'm sure many of you saw my brief note on how I accomplished "Nyx" over in the gallery, but so much effort and planning went into this, I thought something more in depth might prove useful to somebody someday. So here goes... :D

My idea started with a title (that I ended up not using): "Emergence." I had this idea of a face emerging from the darkness, head on. I puzzled a lot over how to accomplish the look I wanted. I couldn't think up any cloth that would mimic the combination of sheen and darkness my mind's eye imagined. I realized the image in my head had more liquid surroundings.

So I attempted to figure out how to defy gravity so a sheet of liquid could surround a model looking at me head on. I did debate use of aquariums for a (very) short while. I then realized going against Newton wasn't really helping me, and I should perhaps have my model lying down.

I originally envisioned having the model lie down simply in water with the lights all off save for a heavily snooted and gridded strobe. But my chintzy test shots revealed that too much would be visible beneath the water even with all my snooting, so I turned to milk. I thought it could be a simple thing to change the white to black in Photoshop. But that test shot and quick PS attempt revealed that I would lose too much of the evident liquidity and might as well wrap my model in a black sheet and be done with it.

I was also biased because I'm sensitive toward my models and never ask them to do anything I wouldn't be willing to do myself. Thus I was thinking along the lines of "easy" liquids, like water and milk, that people might be willing to lie down in. After my test shots, however, it occurred to me paint might work, but I was worried about the model being able to wash it off and having it not be toxic to her skin. A suggestion from April (aktse) made me aware of washable tempera paints, a type of paint I wasn't previously familiar with. It seemed a very viable option. My blurry test shot (with trusty artist's model) confirmed this.

479669388_TdKJm-M.jpg

So I went out and bought up all the black tempera paint from every craft store within a five-mile radius of my home. On Valentine's day. I imagine I must've looked like the bitterest of all single women to every checkout person that day.

(A measly four and a half gallons)
479670093_uCjC8-M.jpg

That done, I had to find a model willing to sit in a bathtub filled with paint. I had five takers. :huh But only one available the weekend I wanted to do it, and she was awesome.

Once she arrived and had applied her make-up, I had her lie in the tub for a test shot. I wanted to figure out everything my planning couldn't cover without being made reality. And my big fear happened. Even with a 10º grid and my strobe at its lowest power, light scattered off every bright, shiny surface in my bathroom.

479670518_GThCn-M.jpg

So I grabbed a black blanket and with trusty gaffer's tape hung it over the shower tiles.

Same settings as above, but with black blanket in place:
479670939_FAngS-M.jpg

I knew the black paint would suck up even more light, so we started prepping for the tub-filling.

Quick set-up shot of my tiny, tiny bathroom and even tinier tub (before my bathroom was coated and spattered in black paint...everywhere):
479671615_87oKX-M.jpg

My model got into the tub, and I dammed half of it as best I could with a cardboard box lined with a garbage bag because I was really afraid I wouldn't have enough paint, despite my best efforts. Which turned out to be a valid fear. I had to add water to beef up the volume, which had an unexpected result.

My original idea was of a sea creature rising from the black depths of the sea, like a siren or nymph. I was actually annoyed when the added water created glittering swirls and streaks across the surface of the paint. Once I uploaded everything, though, I realized those streaks looked like galaxies and star clusters, so my concept changed a bit.

Anywho, once the model was up to her ears in paint, I climbed in above her and desperately tried not to fall. (A paint-filled bathtub is a slippery-slick thing indeed!) I stood by her head and shot her upside down. :wink

Here's the original image SOOC:
479672012_znJqz-M.jpg

From my position, and because my tub is so danged tiny, I could not maneuver to keep the light's reflection out of the paint. You'll notice a lighter strip of black above the model's head, which is the swim cap that slipped off about halfway through our shoot (and near that part of my ankle). Thankfully she had black hair and didn't mind her head becoming a huge paint brush sodden with paint. :giggle Her hands are also pushing the box-dam down so I could get more of her neck in the shot.

I cloned out the reflection and added some of the "star trails" from other shots in the series, and heavily, heavily PS'd her face. I would never do this to a normal portrait of such a stunning woman, but I really wanted the subject to look ethereal and somewhat inhuman, so I pushed the envelope way beyond my personal tastes and usual tricks.

And this is what I ended up with:
479674511_5m4DW-M.jpg

I unfortunately did not take a photo of the horrendous aftermath, with which I'm still living a bit. My tub is certainly still grey in places, despite all my scrubbing. :rolleyes

Crazier than that, I'm thinking of doing it again! :lol3

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    thumb.gif amazing. thks for the insight!!!!!
    Aaron Nelson
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    What we go through to achieve our visions......

Very impressive! Thank you for the insight. I really need to take setup shots on some of my stuff, it makes the behind the scenes story so much better.

I wonder, if your tub is still grey how is the model?
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    WOW!!! Such a gift you havethumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Horrendous aftermath
    Is it too late to photograph any of that for DSS 20? rolleyes1.gif

What a behind-the-scenes tale, though! Thank goodness you had a patient model. The effect you achieved was really cool. thumb.gif
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    I wonder, if your tub is still grey how is the model?

lol3.gif When she got up, she looked like she was wearing a full-body latex suit. By that point we were both laughing. She emerged from the shower way cleaner than the tub, though she was slightly worried because she had a nude shoot the next day and couldn't get all the black out of her armpits, which made it look like she hadn't shaved in days. :giggle Thank goodness she was such a good sport, and we had fun doing the shoot together.
    richersl wrote:
    Is it too late to photograph any of that for DSS 20? rolleyes1.gif

Dang! If only I'd been a bit lazier with my cleanup, I would be set. :D
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Thanks for Sharing.....very interesting...

Might I suggest next time...buying a plastic kiddie pool, and save the hassle of messing up your bathroom....also the use of a wig would save the models hair, and you could wrap your models face and shoulder area in a black garbage bag (use of double tape on the cutout portion of the face would keep the paint from bleeding inside the bag), then thrown a piece of cheap black cloth around her which would reduce the shine of the plastic bag, and then put the paint on her.......:D (Sorry for being so bold, but since you stated you might do this again, I thought these suggestions might help)

I look forward to reading your next adventure..again thanks for sharing I really enjoyed reading.

Peace,
    Donna P.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • BobbyMarshallBobbyMarshall Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    neat..
    Canon 50D | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    2x White Lightning x1600 | 580 EXII
    Sekonic L-358 | 2x Pocket Wizard II | TC-80N3 Remote Shutter

• manfredmanfred Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    what a process !! BUT what a result !!
    thanks for sharing
    Being part of the "pond life" is OK - just keep aspiring

http://davemann.smugmug.com

Canon 40D. Canon - 100mm macro, 24-105 IS USM, 70-300 IS USM DO, Speedlite 580EX
  • GrlyGrly Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    So cool! Thanks for sharing!
    edited February 24, 2009
    Tentacion wrote:
    Might I suggest next time...

Thanks, Donna! My model actually suggested a kiddie pool for next time, too. I just have to figure out where to place the pool (I live in a condo, so no backyard to take advantage of). And I tried to save her hair with the swim cap, but we had olive oil around the edges of her face to prevent the paint from sticking there, and the cap slipped off it. rolleyes1.gif

I appreciate the suggestions. :D
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Very well done......as to clean up the tub......fill the tub with warm water then add 1/2 gallon of bleach.....let stand for a while (hour or 2 or longer if you can) then drain and rinse....that should take care of it......if not....then there is this very expesive cleaner called TSP....powder like comet only way better and well as I said extremely expensive.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Wow, Kerry, that was facinating and funny to read all at the same time.

You know how much I admire your creativity and images, it was so nice of you to walk us through your process.

Peace, gail:D
    edited February 24, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    ...as to clean up the tub...

Clever! Thanks for the suggestions, Art. Much appreciated. :D
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Clever! Thanks for the suggestions, Art. Much appreciated. :D

Actually, the other thing to try (thinking about this) - simply because I have found it cleans EVERYTHING - is the *liquid* version of Barkeepers Friend (I've only seen it online or at Bed Bath and Beyond - you can get the powder at hte supermarket, but the liquid is vastly superior in my experience). I have yet to find a stain it couldn't remove, it doesn't smell bad and it's relatively easy on skin. Give it a try! thumb.gif

Amazing behind the scenes - holy moly your creativity just never stops!!!!
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Thanks, Donna! My model actually suggested a kiddie pool for next time, too. I just have to figure out where to place the pool (I live in a condo, so no backyard to take advantage of). And I tried to save her hair with the swim cap, but we had olive oil around the edges of her face to prevent the paint from sticking there, and the cap slipped off it. rolleyes1.gif

I appreciate the suggestions. :D

Just remember, I look forward to reading your next adventure...you brought a smile to these lips. Experimentation is the coolest!!

Wow, I have never heard of Barkeepers Friend, I have to look for it..thanks Diva.

Peace,
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote