time sensitive ? re canon lens

wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
edited February 25, 2009 in Cameras
I have a new question. i posted earlier about buying a 70-200 lens in Vietnam. the guy i was going to buy it from kept. i am now in hanoi extending my visa and i am thinking about getting a 24-105L (same lens i sold before coming here!).

i have found a few stores that have them including an authorized canon (Singapore) dealer. i checked the lenses for a date code and could not find one. i did find a number (serial?) such as 1133718 on the mounting ring.
does anyone know what this might be? i have tried calling canon to ask where the date codes are but have not been able to get through. i will be in hanoi for 2 more days before heading back North for about 4 weeks of shooting in vietnam and 3 weeks in Laos. i only have my 135L and nifty 50 with me and i am really feeling handcuffed.

thanks for all your help

Dave

Comments

• Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    I wish i could help but i have no idea. just want to wish you a very good time in the north!@!! IMO you have a great portrait lens in the 135 mm but the vistas are breathtaking as well. maybe something like the 24-105 ( or maybe even wider?) would give a good match rather than the 70-200... I found i only used my 28-75 and 10-20 there. (on the bottom of page 2 and further on page 3 are shots of the north of sapa. may give you an idea. http://www.chris-en-hils.smugmug.com/gallery/5792980_YhQUf#P-2-15 )

good luck!
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Dave,

I did a little research on the web and found this:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Canon-Lens-Date-Code-and-Aging-How-Old-Is-That-Lens_W0QQugidZ10000000004389161

Hope it helps.
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    thanks for the link. another member was kind enough to post something similar on another post i had. the "problem" is that I couldn't find a date code on any of the the 24-105L lenses in any of the stores. the lenses that the stores are selling are the kit lens from the 5D mark II.

i have to admit i did "try" one of the lenses out of the kit box and it was sweet and sharp as well as the price. there was no dust "inside" the lens and the lens appeared to be unused (just because it came out of a box doesn't mean it is new). the dealer has a good reputation. I just want to make sure I have "investigated" everything that i should be "checking out.
    cheers.
    Dave
    Dave,

I did a little research on the web and found this:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Canon-Lens-Date-Code-and-Aging-How-Old-Is-That-Lens_W0QQugidZ10000000004389161

Hope it helps.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    I got my 24-105 in Jan 2007, the serial number is 688XXX, only 6 digits.
    Quite sure that the one you see is much later than mine.
    Hope it can help.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    On my 24-105 the serial number is on the silver ring, the date code on stamped on the black plastic very near the glass lens opening. There are two distinct numbers, with the one on the black area holding a letter and number code.

Good luck, its a sweet lens.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    I found the date code - thanks
    I guess my eyes are going. i did find the date code, it was UX.... (2009). I bought the lens today and look forward to using it.

thanks for all the help
    Dave