a few from yesterday

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited February 24, 2009 in People
It's been 3 months since a paid shoot, ahhhh, how it has been nice! but I had a lot of fun yesterday with little Audrey and her mom, grandmother, and great grandmother! Four generations of lovely ladies. Despite the cold, came away with a few cute shots. nothing special but hey, it's been a while!

trying out some new processing, very contrasty I know...

479886361_EP2tL-L.jpg

479886142_DgBHS-L.jpg

3. (whoops, chin crop!)
479886480_8Mf9e-L.jpg

4. fun with mommy
479886396_ACavf-L.jpg

5. Then we moved inside for storytime...
479886446_FhHoD-L.jpg

479886182_LKVF5-L.jpg

7. A toddler after my own heart, she loved showing off grandma's little picture frames!
479886317_nP7mu-L.jpg

Interior shots: off camera 580EX+radio poppers, and Gary Fong Cloud LS.

C&C always welcome and appreciated.

Thanks for looking!
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Fun stuff Lynne. I like how you processed these for a current/modern look and feel. Looks like a very nice time was had by all. I can vouch for the grandparent thing......a precious thing and it shows that grandma was lovin every minute of it :D Nice to see you shooting again.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Very cute photos!!! iloveyou.gif I think my favorite are #3 & 5. It's nice to have some good pics of kids in their "natural environment" rather than only having good photos taken in a studio clap.gif
  • justMEjustME Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    clap.gif
    #3 and #5 are my favs.
    Your shots have a wonderful feeling.
    Generations
    Canon EOS 30D & 50D
    Arizona, USA
    http://justineolson.smugmug.com/

..........................................................................................
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Nice shots. I like the processing. I like the look when I see it on other people's photos but when I am doing something like it to mine I think "Ooops, too much" ...
    LadyTX
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    !st three for me
    These are terrific - the whole series is something the family will love - but the first three are stunningly beautiful. You really captured her well.

I wish in the inside images there were some that were just a touch of eyes to the camera. The one of Great Grandma reading is pricesless.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Fun stuff Lynne. I like how you processed these for a current/modern look and feel. Looks like a very nice time was had by all. I can vouch for the grandparent thing......a precious thing and it shows that grandma was lovin every minute of it :D Nice to see you shooting again.

Thanks for looking and commenting, Dave! It was a wonderful shoot to get back into the "spring" of things! <
    (very bad pun indeed!)
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited February 24, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Very cute photos!!! iloveyou.gif I think my favorite are #3 & 5. It's nice to have some good pics of kids in their "natural environment" rather than only having good photos taken in a studio clap.gif

Thanks, Angie! You're the queen of gorgeous lifestyle baby photography in my book, so I appreciate your feedback! Studios do have their place though... here soon the pendulum will be swinging back that way, heh! mwink.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited February 24, 2009
    justME wrote:
    clap.gif
    #3 and #5 are my favs.
    Your shots have a wonderful feeling.
    Generations

What a wonderful thing to say! Evoking a feeling is always my goal, so I'm tickled by your comment! Thanks so much.
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited February 24, 2009
    ladytx wrote:
    Nice shots. I like the processing. I like the look when I see it on other people's photos but when I am doing something like it to mine I think "Ooops, too much" ...

I know what you mean, I still think the blacks are a bit deep in this set, curious to see how they print first!

FWIW, I think this approach looks more passable on outdoor shots for some reason, indoors it tends to look forced rather than funky:D

Also, i've found mixing/blending curve boost layers in PS (one for highlights, one for shadows, etc) yields better results than the "overall" contrast boost. Try it sometime and share with us!!!
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited February 24, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    These are terrific - the whole series is something the family will love - but the first three are stunningly beautiful. You really captured her well.

I wish in the inside images there were some that were just a touch of eyes to the camera. The one of Great Grandma reading is pricesless.

Hi Kathy!!! I don't know about stunning, but I am humbled by your nice descriptors here! Thanks for your comments.

Indoors, I think one of the most challenging aspects of lifestyle photography is facial angles, you want them to forget you're there, but look just a bit more toward you at the same time Laughing.gif. When I was in theatre I remember a technique where we would speak to each other in our peripheral vision, but turned toward the audience, there was a term for it I forget now! At any rate, I was running around the room trying to get the right angle for everyone as the baby kept turning her back to me (thank you radiopoppers!)
    Canon 5D MkI
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Nice to have that camera jumping in your hands eh?

I have been away from the camera myself for awhile...and have a nice collection of new gear awaiting some time off to experiment with.rolleyes1.gif

I havent read all the comments here, so if I repeat others' comments.....ne_nau.gif

For the record I really like 2, 3,and 4. You are right about the contrast being high. FWIW...I like high contrast, but would rather see "some" detail in the blacks.

2 is just an awesome capture. Teeny little thing framed in sillouettes of adults who love her. The ROT composition looks great as well.thumb.gif

3 You seem more bothered about that chin than I am. The DOF is perfect and the color is.....yummy. If you think the chin is a problem.....maybe try cropping tighter from the top....and maybe off one side of the photo to de-center the face...and make the chin crop look more purposeful. I like it the way you have shown it here though.....it looks great!.

4 Of all the images you shared I think this could be helped most with less contrast. It is an awesome candid moment though, and you should be excited to be able to share this with your clients.

The indoor shots are lit well. Ive had an opportunity to use a stofen snap on diffuser now and can say without a doubt that I like the lightsphere MUCH more. I REALLY dig the barebulb look....and it seems much easier to use in conjunction with a gel.

Now......tell me all about radio poppers. I have a December wedding that will require radio triggering of some sort....and the radio poppers are the direction Id like to go.
  • lyttlevietlyttleviet Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Looks great! I love family days :)