Options

please help me with my lens problem!

nillaismydognillaismydog Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited May 27, 2005 in Cameras
I have two lens that work with a minolta... I emailed and called sigma to double check that they could be upgraded to work with a canon... they said yes so I sent them in. they sent them back and didn't do anything! I called them and then they told me it wasn't possible! I'm a little ticked with them... they don't take trade-ins and the guy said I could "sell it on ebay" which I might have to do. Is there any other option? These are the lenses and they're in great condition.

Sigma 28-80mm F3.5-5.6
Sigma 100-300mm F4.5-6.7

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 26, 2005
    I have two lens that work with a minolta... I emailed and called sigma to double check that they could be upgraded to work with a canon... they said yes so I sent them in. they sent them back and didn't do anything! I called them and then they told me it wasn't possible! I'm a little ticked with them... they don't take trade-ins and the guy said I could "sell it on ebay" which I might have to do. Is there any other option? These are the lenses and they're in great condition.

Sigma 28-80mm F3.5-5.6
    Sigma 100-300mm F4.5-6.7

I have never heard Sigma converting a lens from one brand lens mount to another after manuufacture. Over the years, there are a whole lot of folks who would have loved that ability, but I have never heard of it being done by Sigma or Tamron or Tokina etc. I think there was an error in communication somewhere - maybe by the folks you talked to at Sigma.
    I think your only option is to sell your lenses for your Minolta if you want to switch to a Canon system. I have a bunch of Nikon lenses I would love to switch to Canon, but as far as I know, that is not possible.
    There are some small firms that make lens adapters to mount non-EOS Canon lenses on an EOS mount, but they do not support Autofocus or aperature metering, and have to be stopped down manually. I have read about adapters that allow old Olympus and Zeiss lenses to fit on an EOS camera - but they just physically mount the lens - no elelctrical contacts or focusing occurs.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I have never heard Sigma converting a lens from one brand lens mount to another after manuufacture. Over the years, there are a whole lot of folks who would have loved that ability, but I have never heard of it being done by Sigma or Tamron or Tokina etc. I think there was an error in communication somewhere - maybe by the folks you talked to at Sigma.
    I think your only option is to sell your lenses for your Minolta if you want to switch to a Canon system. I have a bunch of Nikon lenses I would love to switch to Canon, but as far as I know, that is not possible.
    There are some small firms that make lens adapters to mount non-EOS Canon lenses on an EOS mount, but they do not support Autofocus or aperature metering, and have to be stopped down manually. I have read about adapters that allow old Olympus and Zeiss lenses to fit on an EOS camera - but they just physically mount the lens - no elelctrical contacts or focusing occurs.
    I didn't think it was possible either, but I don't know much about this stuff and I thought I'd ask anyway. What I don't get is that 2 different people told me it could be done. It's beyond me, but oh well. Any suggestions on a new lens under $200?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 26, 2005
    I didn't think it was possible either, but I don't know much about this stuff and I thought I'd ask anyway. What I don't get is that 2 different people told me it could be done. It's beyond me, but oh well. Any suggestions on a new lens under $200?
    Which lens mount? Minolta or Canon? Your budget will limit yiour choices of new, quality lenses. You may be able to find some addeptable choices in used lenses. What kinds of pictures are you wanting to shoot? What kind of lenses interest you - telephotos, wide angles, macro etc?
    I may be able to make a suggestion when I know more about your interests.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Which lens mount? Minolta or Canon? Your budget will limit yiour choices of new, quality lenses. You may be able to find some addeptable choices in used lenses. What kinds of pictures are you wanting to shoot? What kind of lenses interest you - telephotos, wide angles, macro etc?
    I may be able to make a suggestion when I know more about your interests.
    I need lenses for a canon. I would like to get 28-80 macro at the least. If I could get a wider angle that would be great but I don't need telephoto over 300. For the most part I'll just be shooting portraits, big groups and then tons of pictures of my daughter... she's too quick to capture her with a point and shoot =)
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited May 27, 2005
    Scooched over to Serious amateur and pro camers for some additional
    eyes.

Many years ago, Vivitar used to sell lenses with threaded mounts. The idea
    being you bought the mount for your brand camera and screwed it to the
    "universal" mount. Nice idea but with today's modern cameras and their
    apeture control, that might not work so well.

As far as short zoom, Tamron offers an 18-200 as well as a 19-35.
    Canon also offer the 24-70 as well sa a 17-85 in the EFS lineup
    (depends on which camera you have whether this will work or not).

Does that help?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Scooched over to Serious amateur and pro camers for some additional
    eyes.

Many years ago, Vivitar used to sell lenses with threaded mounts. The idea
    being you bought the mount for your brand camera and screwed it to the
    "universal" mount. Nice idea but with today's modern cameras and their
    apeture control, that might not work so well.

As far as short zoom, Tamron offers an 18-200 as well as a 19-35.
    Canon also offer the 24-70 as well sa a 17-85 in the EFS lineup
    (depends on which camera you have whether this will work or not).

Does that help?

Ian
    yes, thanks for the help!
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2005

Sigma 28-80mm F3.5-5.6
    Sigma 100-300mm F4.5-6.7
    I dont know your laws but here if i had the email as proof of asking the question then they knowingly sold you eqipment 'not fit for sale/purpose'. They wouldnt stand a chance.

Gus