Options

Canon Rebel XT and High-Speed sync, FP flash

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,901 moderator
edited May 27, 2005 in Cameras
Has anyone any experience with the Rebel XT and its' ability to use an external flash in High-Speed sync or FP Flash mode? I would like to sync at around 1/500 to 1/750th if possible, to control ambient lights' contribution/contamination.

What models are compatible?

Are any third party flashes compatible?

Thanks,

ziggy53
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 26, 2005
    i think this would depend on the flash, no? My 580EX can do hi-speed sync with any camera (Drebel, 10D, etc).

so I would guess that answers your second question, might be best to spend the money on the good Canon 580EX flash to give you full control and compatibilty for advanced things.

(but I really don't know, i didn't bother looking at 3rd party, just plunked down for the 580 and its continued to amaze me with its results)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    Other flashes
    Thanks Erik!

My own research seems to indicate that many of the Canon xxxEX series flashes can do it, with the 220EX as the least costly denominator.

It would also appear that the Sigma 500EF Super is capable of similar integration and power, at less money than the Canon 580EX.

My thought is to go with the 220EX for the FP flash mode and attempt to slave an existing non-dedicated flash from that. I want a small flash to go with the XT always, so that gets me a couple of goals simultaneously. The 220EX also seems to recycle rather quickly for such a small flash, and it has the TTL integration as well.

I still have a lot of older 35mm film and medium format cameras, so I'd rather not have a lot of dedicated flashes, if I can avoid it.

Thanks again,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2005
    How FP mode works and what flashes are compatible.
    I found this rather amazingly good article about the FP mode in the Canon "A" series cameras:

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/#fp

Accordingly, the 220EX is going to be rather useless in FP mode, except with very close subjects. It would appear that the Canon 550EX and 580EX and Sigma 500EF Super are about the only flashes that would suit my needs.

I'm not even sure that the FP mode is going to be that useful after all. Also, my idea of slaving an external flash in FP mode would not work.

Life is like that.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 27, 2005
    I have to admit I was a bit surprised when you said the 220 would do the trick for you. High speed sync is a pretty advanced flash feature, so I really think you may have to go with a better unit. I'd also say that the 580 can probably dumb itself down quite a bit to work with those old cameras your worried about (at least if they are Canon, should be OK).

I dug through an old thread I started about flash help...

it is here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=8071

and one of the most useful link someone passed on to me were these eos documents.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]