Another New HDR Shot - Black Dog

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited February 25, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
This is my brother's Gordon Setter, Piper. He was sitting outside in the Maine snow. This is a 3 exposure HDR, via Photomatix. I really like how that software helps bring out the details in black dogs!

Any C&C is most welcome! The white dots on his face are snowflakes, but if you think they are distracting I will clone them out.

Lauren

480210010_pfiKc-L.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    I'm not sure how I feel about this image. On the one hand the detail in the dog (and the dog itself) is absolutely stunning and gorgeous. On the other hand, what is going on with the background?
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    I love the shot! Im sorry I have to disagree with the background. I think it makes the dog look like he is in his natural setting. I just bought a D90 so I am looking forward to doing some AEB shots since my D60 is hard to get some of my dog since she moves so quick! Lovely shot!
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    I wasn't sure about the background myself, so I'm anxious to hear more comments about it. It is a mix of snow and tree (a double trunked tree). I'm not sure why the tree looks so busy, almost like it was moving and the dog was still! I can see both sides of your "arguments"--thanks for the comments.

Others?

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 25, 2009
    Looks great. I too have noticed how HDR will bring out detail in furry critters, especially in harsh lighting environments.

Background looks fine to me. Bokeh is a little harsh, but that's typical when you have a detailed background that's just outside of the depth of field.

Regards,
    -joel
    edited February 25, 2009
    Joel - Thanks for the explanation on the background. That helps me understand how the image turned out the way it did, and gives me something to be on the lookout for in the future. My personal goal is to expend some extra effort on composition during my next few shoots. I often do fine with the subject, but I frequently get to the computer screen and find lots of distractions in my backgrounds! Need to work on DOF quite a bit also.

Thanks for the comments so far!

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 25, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Need to work on DOF quite a bit also.

I see from the EXIF data that you shot that wide open (F5.6 @ 55mm), so you did the best you could on that composition using that lens. What you really need is a faster lens. Something in an F2.8 would do nicely. deal.gif
    edited February 25, 2009
    kdog--you are right about a 2.8 lens. I've been thinking about it the last few days after realizing that I didn't get good enough captures on most of the photos I shot during my trip. I'll be visiting the DGrin gear forum for suggestions. If you have any, PLMK! Thanks--

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com