Options

DVD player to VGA monitor?

catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
edited February 25, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
has anyone ever connected a DVD player (normal, not CDROM DVD) with S-out and component and regular video out to a VGA computer monitor?

I'm considering this (since both parts are sitting around unused...) for a slide show display at the horse shows. Figured it'd be a GREAT attention grabber as well as just fun times all around. And since I haven't put any recent $$ into it ($20 DVD player, free monitor... oo so pricy), I would love to utilize these components.

However, any idea how to connect the two? sound is NOT important and really not needed at all. I'm not even sure the CD player can play burned CDs for a slide show, but if not I'm willing to pony up (haha, no pun) some money for a dvd player that DOES.

but.... VGA to ....? connectors? Radio Shack? anyone? :scratch
//Leah

Comments

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    Most computer monitors do not have this capability. It's actually more complicated than people think. Even if you get the cable that can do it (read what it says in the product notes), it likely still won't work. If you really wanted to do this I'll bet you could find a very old, cheap laptop with video out that would get the job done.
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    Most computer monitors do not have this capability. It's actually more complicated than people think. Even if you get the cable that can do it (read what it says in the product notes), it likely still won't work. If you really wanted to do this I'll bet you could find a very old, cheap laptop with video out that would get the job done.

booo! :cry I was rather afraid of this. I'll have to see what my ibook has, but I suspect even that doesn't have the right connections for the type of video out, at least not without a docking station.

The idea is to not spend too much money -- other alternatives are getting a new flatscreen tv with built in dvd player, or just a flatscreen itself. these days they are hard to find under $200, which is more than this is worth spending. Oh well!! rolleyes1.gif

I'll stick with the smaller digital photo frame for now.

thanks!
    //Leah