Options

Canon 20D Battery Grip

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
edited May 26, 2005 in Cameras
Hi, I'm new here, so I am not sure whether this belongs on this forum or on Accessories. I trust the moderator will move this as needed. :):

OK, so I am also new to photography. I bought a Canon A75 last November and am thinking about upgrading to a 20D as soon as I can convince myself that I am not utterly mad--or just stop worrying about that:dunno. I am wondering about the battery grip. I am considering it because for some reason, I seem to take at least 80% of my shots in portrait orientation--and I don't do portraits. I guess I must see vertically, not horizontally. The extra online power doesn't matter to me at all.

My question to you all is this: are the ergonomics of shooting portrait with this grip better enough to justify the extra weight (and money)? How much difference does it make?

Thanks so much.

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2005
    I have the 20D and the grip. When I shoot portrait orientation I will make use of the "other" buttons. Personally, I like it, and feel my wrist is less twisted and contorted. Since my 70-200/2.8 is usually attached, which is heavy, its a plus to me.

Having said that, a photog I know with that same lens and with a 1D Mark II (which has a built-in grip) and he never uses the portrait orientation buttons. And he shoots mostly portrait orientation.

Different strokes. My wrist just doesn't feel stable when it has to twist across the top of the camera.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2005
    I like it..
    I have a DRebel w/ grip. Basically the same thing, just a different model. I like the extra grip/heft of the camera. It makes the camera feel better balanced w/ a longer lens (ie my 70-200/4). Even w/ my shortest lens it just feels more ergonomic. I suppose it's personal taste though.

See if you can try before you buy somewhere. I have a semi-pro wedding photographer friend who had a DRebel w/ grip. I hadn't even considered the grip until I handled his camera. 10 min w/ it and I was sold though.

The extended battery life sure doesn't hurt though. I have two complaints w/ it: 1) It makes the camera harder to carry. I shoot a lot out in the woods while hiking. W/ the grip and longer lens it becomes difficult to sling for a short walk from perch to perch. 2) The dang thing doesn't fit half my camera bags! I had a nice top-loader I was happy w/ for my film camera. Unfortunately it won't fit the bigger pro sized cameras.

Such is life though. Overall I love my grip and say it's definitely worth the expense & weight..