Cheapest place for a new 1D mk3

scottcolbathscottcolbath Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
edited February 25, 2009 in Cameras
I'm this close (holding thumb and index finger a millimeter apart) to pulling the trigger on a new 1D Mark 3.

I've been a loyal B&H customer for a couple of years now, but on a big ticket item like this, if I can save a couple hundred bucks by purchasing somewhere else, and that seller is trustworthy, I'll give them a serious look.

My search has turned up not one single place where I would feel comfortable saving any money on a purchase.

Any of you seen the camera somewhere besides B&H cheaper than $399.95, which is the B&H price?

S.C.

Comments

• KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009

Any of you seen the camera somewhere besides B&H cheaper than $399.95, which is the B&H price?

S.C.
    A 1D Mk II for $399.95? I don't think so . . . and I assume you meant $3,995. The price has come down since the camera was originally released. That may mean that the Mk IV is imminent . . as it should be since the AF issue withe the Mk III has not been resolved fully, and cannot be ignored.

You might want to research this, but if you do decide to pull the trigger, my opinion is B&H all the way -- any premium that you might be paying, assuming it's modest, is the cost of ensuring good post-purchase service.
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    If B&H is selling 1D3's at $399.95, buy NOW! Buy a dozen or so! I'll pick a couple up from you at $500! rolleyes1.gif

In all seriousness though, if I were in your circumstance, I'd stick with B&H. As you say, loyal customer, relationship of trust, big ticket item. Go looking someplace else and as you've already found, the seller is sketchy enough that they may offer it for only $2500, then the charger for $500, and the neck strap for $200, and the warranty for $1000...

The place to save a few bucks is when you're buying lens hoods, remote cords, and other misc goods, not when shelling out for a professional DSLR
    edited February 25, 2009
    Robinivich wrote:
    If B&H is selling 1D3's at $399.95, buy NOW! Buy a dozen or so! I'll pick a couple up from you at $500! rolleyes1.gif

In all seriousness though, if I were in your circumstance, I'd stick with B&H. As you say, loyal customer, relationship of trust, big ticket item. Go looking someplace else and as you've already found, the seller is sketchy enough that they may offer it for only $2500, then the charger for $500, and the neck strap for $200, and the warranty for $1000...

The place to save a few bucks is when you're buying lens hoods, remote cords, and other misc goods, not when shelling out for a professional DSLR
    Very well said.
  • scottcolbathscottcolbath Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    Heh. Sorry about the price error. :D

Yeah, I love B&H. Hard to beat the prices and service.

As far as focus issues, I thought that was only a certain range of cameras that had problems. The only other thing I heard about was an Err 99 issue. I would have thought those would be taken care of with new cameras.

Time to do a little more homework, starting with a search here.

S.C.
    edited February 25, 2009
    Heh. Sorry about the price error. :D

Yeah, I love B&H. Hard to beat the prices and service.

As far as focus issues, I thought that was only a certain range of cameras that had problems. The only other thing I heard about was an Err 99 issue. I would have thought those would be taken care of with new cameras.

Time to do a little more homework, starting with a search here.

S.C.
    Nobody has issued an "all clear" on the AF matter, and as an owner of a Mk III and a Mk II N, I will tell you that while my III is my go-to camera, the AF is simply better on the IIN.

As for research, start by googling Rob Galbraith -- he has done an extraordinarily detailed analysis of the problem. Then, google around for "gossip" posts on Canon cameras (I don't know whether any exist) to see if there's talk of a Mk IV coming out any time soon.

I love my Mk III, except when I hate it, which is usually when I'm looking at blurry images in PP that I know I nailed in real time. PM me if you want some additional thoughts.
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    Robinivich wrote:
    In all seriousness though, if I were in your circumstance, I'd stick with B&H. As you say, loyal customer, relationship of trust, big ticket item.

Totally agree. B&H is a little like Smugmug. You might pay a little extra, but the service is unbeatable. When you need them, they are there.
    Steve

Website
    edited February 25, 2009
    Totally agree. B&H is a little like Smugmug. You might pay a little extra, but the service is unbeatable. When you need them, they are there.

Totally agree about Smugmug. I just ordered a very large print of the funny car (NHRA in Phoenix in the sports section). A few clicks and a few bucks and I'll have it on Friday. I do like that.

S.C.
    edited February 25, 2009
    KED wrote:
    Nobody has issued an "all clear" on the AF matter, and as an owner of a Mk III and a Mk II N, I will tell you that while my III is my go-to camera, the AF is simply better on the IIN.

As for research, start by googling Rob Galbraith -- he has done an extraordinarily detailed analysis of the problem. Then, google around for "gossip" posts on Canon cameras (I don't know whether any exist) to see if there's talk of a Mk IV coming out any time soon.

I love my Mk III, except when I hate it, which is usually when I'm looking at blurry images in PP that I know I nailed in real time. PM me if you want some additional thoughts.

(edit)Third hit.....Sorry.

http://www.prophotohome.com/forum/pro-photo-reviews-articles/78480-rob-galbraith-latest-canon-canon-1d-camera-canon-mkiii-camera-auto-focus-findings.html

Odd, yet interesting.

S.C.