How Long Before

femsistafemsista Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
I am loving my smugmug account so far despite my love hate relationship with customization, LOL.

Anyway, I was curious to hear from other muggers:

1. How long after joining Smugmug did it take to get your first sale?
2. Were your first sales random online customers (ie found you on Google) or were they sales from face to face customers (ie you recruited them in a non internet way) who you referred to the site for viewing and purchasing abilities?
"Don't Let A Moment Pass You By"
Alicia Holman Photography
Family and Children's Photographer: Gwinnett County, GA
www.aliciaholmanphotography.com

Comments

• femsistafemsista Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2009
    anyone?
    femsista wrote:
    I am loving my smugmug account so far despite my love hate relationship with customization, Laughing.gif.

Anyway, I was curious to hear from other muggers:

1. How long after joining Smugmug did it take to get your first sale?
    2. Were your first sales random online customers (ie found you on Google) or were they sales from face to face customers (ie you recruited them in a non internet way) who you referred to the site for viewing and purchasing abilities?
  • R.LeonardoR.Leonardo Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2009
    I think much of this is dependent on the marketing of the artist.
    My first sales were pre-SmugMug!
    R. Leonardo
    www.RobArtPhoto.com
    Whether he is an artist or not, the photographer is a joyous sensualist, for the simple reason that the eye traffics in feelings, not in thoughts. -Walker Evans
  • KalrogKalrog Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2009
    I set up my smugmug account because I had just been asked to do my first professional gig and needed a way to do the sales. So I guess I recruited them off line - but that is the way all my sales have been.
    Nathan Deckinga
    Leander, Texas
    http://www.2-dphoto.com
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2009
    R.Leonardo wrote:
    I think much of this is dependent on the marketing of the artist.

15524779-Ti.gif 99.9% of my sales have nothing to do with Smugmug. What drew me to here was the ability to store and share photos, build a nice protected site, and the ability to streamline my services to my clients.
    Since joining up with Smugmug I have gotten some random sales, and that is nice, but not anything that I personally count on.
    Add that to the amazing customer service and the ever improving services offered.
    Steve

Website
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    Before you signed up to smugmug, did you find any smugmug galleries while surfing the internet?

You market yourself and get people to go to smugmug.
  • RubenZRubenZ Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    I take sports pictures which can be seen in my valley sports pics link below. What I did is after every game I pass out business cards to the parents. I find that my sales don't come until 2 days after the game. The reason being is I try to Process and post up all my pics the next day before Noon. And typical of people that get flyers or business cards probably don't remember and see them later in the night when they empy pockets or change out clothes. Then they buy them the next day at work or some place where they have broadband. Kind of hard to go through the usual 200 pics i take at a game on dialup lol.
  • femsistafemsista Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    It is nice to read what brought people to smugmug.

I came because I needed a way to do an easy website that looked sharp and could offer galleries for clients.

I have sold on other sites before but they were more of online artist galleries.

But I like the freedom so much more on Smugmug! It makes me want to go out and bring people to my site because I am soooo proud of my site and my two week crash course in customization. rolleyes1.gif
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    A few weeks, but that's because I do event photography -- folks know about my site because of those events and because of those events, they buy the photos.
    //Leah
  • cornerketchcornerketch Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Special Olympics Delaware
    I have a market for all the pictures.
    It still takes time and effort to develop a active market.
    Pass out business cards and show people how to use an get their pictures..

But over the past 5 years , I have built up a small market for the pictures.
    Hank Stoklosa
    CornerKetch Studios
    Special Olympics Delaware
    www.sode.smugmug.com
  • cappicappi Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    I've been here about 15 months and have had two pretty decent commercial download sales. The first one came about 11 months after I started here. I did the marketing myself to attract the client. I've had a few other inquires about buying photos for commercial use through random people that have found my port through searches. Wasn't able to agree on a price so that was that. I'm noticing that my port is coming up well on top pages through google searches in particular niche areas that I think I have a chance of competing in so I am optimistic that I will attract more buyers. I'm really looking forward to Smugmug stock. That should be interesting.