RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
edited March 1, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
481642584_dukGZ-L.jpg
C&C always welcome.

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2009
    Hi Richard,

You've got an interesting shot here. I like all the interplay that's going on as well as the various textures that are evident. Very nice capture.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited February 27, 2009
    Hi Richard,

You've got an interesting shot here. I like all the interplay that's going on as well as the various textures that are evident. Very nice capture.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Glad you liked it. thumb.gif
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    Interesting piece Richard. I've come back to it several times.
    Generally speaking I really like the work.
    I agree with Toms comments in those things he spoke about.

The clock is very cool in the way you have developed it and placed in.

My little nits.
    I find myself looking critically at the sharp straight lines behind and just above
    your statues head. Then theres the background texture at top making me
    wonder if it fits so well either with circles and curves seemingly dominating.

Just a couple of thoughts.... not to be confused with credible points.
    :D Michael
    Michael
    edited February 28, 2009
    DaddyO wrote:
    Interesting piece Richard. I've come back to it several times.
    Generally speaking I really like the work.
    I agree with Toms comments in those things he spoke about.

The clock is very cool in the way you have developed it and placed in.

My little nits.
    I find myself looking critically at the sharp straight lines behind and just above
    your statues head. Then theres the background texture at top making me
    wonder if it fits so well either with circles and curves seemingly dominating.

Just a couple of thoughts.... not to be confused with credible points.
    :D Michael

Spot on, Michael...those are a couple of things that I am not happy with either. I'll probably do a revision tomorrow with fresh eyes. Thanks so much for the helpful criticism. thumb.gif

Cheers,
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    C&C always welcome.

Wow Richard, I love it too, the background (thin strips like cane) just look a little out of place to me...... I would have though maybe something like hieroglyphics would be more fitting?

Heck I think you've done a smashing job with this, how many layers did it take to create this?

Very very Nicely done Richard clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    ... how many layers did it take to create this?

Very nice. Could you tell us more about it?
    Anybody can do it.
  • AAABluestockingAAABluestocking Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Wonderful mix. You can never get enough texture into a manipulation IMHO.

Nit-picky stuff;

Maybe I'm OCD but I always like to match all the colors to one layer or common picture. I think this would make the vertical lines at the top mesh with the whole better.

The two circles on the left don't really work for me. The sharp straight lines don't go with the other old stuff and the mottled purple blob doesn't add anything.

Neat double exposure group at Flickr. My user name over there is 'Pixeliciousnl'
    My SmugMug Galleries
    Learn the various techniques to make all things possible and then choose deliberately which you actually want-rutt
    edited March 1, 2009
    Thanks so much for all the great feedback, everybody. I really appreciate it, as this is a work in progress and you have given me a number of things to think about.

For those interested in the gory details: This started with a shot I took recently of a sculpture by Gerardo Rueda, a Spanish abstract painter and sculptor. Here's a view of the whole piece, which is currently on display on a street near the Prado museum:
    478586790_GNSuf-S.jpg
    This detail shot was the starting point:
    478588715_c5vMm-S.jpg
    I was attracted to the textures, muted colors and form. I didn't have a clear vision of what I wanted to do, but I knew that I wanted to play on spheres, circles and textures. Two things came to mind immediately, so I added the moon shot and the head of a statue of one of the early Kings of Castilla. I created the large central sphere and the lower left one using a mixture of PS rendering, lighting and layer styles. They are entirely synthetic. The clock came from a shot of the San Francisco Ferry Building, slightly twirled. Finally, I used fiber rendering and an exclusion blend to disguise the sidewalk at the top. I think this is the part that is least successful, and plan to change it in the next iteration. Altogether there were nine layers, mostly blended in luminosity mode.

I was planning on reworking it today, but I have a couple of new ideas that will require reshooting the sculpture, so it may be a while before I get to it.

Thanks again for all the comments.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Nice to see where part of your inspiration originated. :D
    Michael