Options

Noise Ninja Review

gmitchel850gmitchel850 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
edited March 2, 2009 in Finishing School
I've written a comprehensive review of Noise Ninja 2. It's a 28 page .PDF download that's free to the digital photography community.

http://www.thelightsright.com/NoiseNinja2

If you're considering noise reduction software, I hope this review helps.
I also have similar reviews for Nik Dfine 2 and Noiseware 4

http://www.thelightsright.com/NikDfine2
http://www.thelightsright.com/Noiseware4

I have plans for several more reviews of noise reduction software. I hope to get Neat Image online soon. That will finish the "Big 4" apps. I will also be looking at Topaz, PictureCooler, Akvis NoiseBuster, etc.

I can't predict when I'll complete the others. I do this as time permits. These reviews are quite comprehensive, so they take a while to prepare. They compete with my tools, tutorials, and videos for my attention.

Comments are welcome.

Enjoy!

Mitch

Comments

• Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    error in pdf
    Mitch,

This is great--a real favor to the rest of us. but there is a problem with this particular pdf--it seems to have the recommendations pages for Nik Dfine rather than Noise ninja

Dan
    I've written a comprehensive review of Noise Ninja 2. It's a 28 page .PDF download that's free to the digital photography community.

http://www.thelightsright.com/NoiseNinja2

If you're considering noise reduction software, I hope this review helps.
    I also have similar reviews for Nik Dfine 2 and Noiseware 4

http://www.thelightsright.com/NikDfine2
    http://www.thelightsright.com/Noiseware4

I have plans for several more reviews of noise reduction software. I hope to get Neat Image online soon. That will finish the "Big 4" apps. I will also be looking at Topaz, PictureCooler, Akvis NoiseBuster, etc.

I can't predict when I'll complete the others. I do this as time permits. These reviews are quite comprehensive, so they take a while to prepare. They compete with my tools, tutorials, and videos for my attention.

Comments are welcome.

Enjoy!

Mitch
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2009
    paddler4 wrote:
    Mitch,

This is great--a real favor to the rest of us. but there is a problem with this particular pdf--it seems to have the recommendations pages for Nik Dfine rather than Noise ninja

Dan

Yes, Paddler. I made a revision and screwed up the conclusion. It's been fixed now.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

Mitch
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Yes, Paddler. I made a revision and screwed up the conclusion. It's been fixed now.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

Mitch

Perhaps it was a Freudian slip...:D

I prefer Nik Dfine...maybe you do too.(subconsciously anyway!)
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Perhaps it was a Freudian slip...:D

I prefer Nik Dfine...maybe you do too.(subconsciously anyway!)

Among the "Big 4" in noise reduction software, I prefer Neat Image and Noiseware.

I highly recommend Neat Image, Nik Dfine2, Noise Ninja, and Noiseware. But I would give higher honor to Neat Image and Noiseware. They offer more control over the noise profiling and noise filtering stages.

For example, they both allow a lot of fine tuning of the noise profiles for different noise manifestations (fine grain to extra course). The same for noise filtering. Noiseware profiles even adapt over time as more examples are processed for a specific camera/ISO combination.

Nik Dfine has the slickest interface and best documentation by far. Extremely professional.

Nik Dfine and Noise Ninja are typically preferred by photographers who want automatic profiles and automatic filter settings. Both do an excellent job at that, and for 95% of photos they'll perform equally as well at noise reduction as Neat Image and Noiseware.

There are tricky photos, however, where Neat Image anf Noiseware can do slightly better because of their more flexible tuning options.

Cheers,

Mitch
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Among the "Big 4" in noise reduction software, I prefer Neat Image and Noiseware.

I highly recommend Neat Image, Nik Dfine2, Noise Ninja, and Noiseware. But I would give higher honor to Neat Image and Noiseware. They offer more control over the noise profiling and noise filtering stages.

For example, they both allow a lot of fine tuning of the noise profiles for different noise manifestations (fine grain to extra course). The same for noise filtering. Noiseware profiles even adapt over time as more examples are processed for a specific camera/ISO combination.

Nik Dfine has the slickest interface and best documentation by far. Extremely professional.

Nik Dfine and Noise Ninja are typically preferred by photographers who want automatic profiles and automatic filter settings. Both do an excellent job at that, and for 95% of photos they'll perform equally as well at noise reduction as Neat Image and Noiseware.

There are tricky photos, however, where Neat Image anf Noiseware can do slightly better because of their more flexible tuning options.

Cheers,

Mitch

Excellent explanation, Mitch.:D

While I prefer Dfine...I also have Neat Image which works just fine but is not as easy to use IMO.

I bought NI years ago and still have the lastest version. Updated for free forever...something I applaud them for.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Excellent explanation, Mitch.:D

While I prefer Dfine...I also have Neat Image which works just fine but is not as easy to use IMO.

I bought NI years ago and still have the lastest version. Updated for free forever...something I applaud them for.

Fair enough!

I agree with you. Nik Dfine is a lot less intimidating than Neat Image.

Vlad's customer support is the best in the business!

I recognize the moniker. Thanks for your visits to my site. As Tom Bodett says, "We'll keep the light on, for ya!" clap.gif