DDS 20, Hmmm.

davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
edited March 1, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Took a few shots today in the new snow. What do think?

482058937_9ZFqJ-L.jpg

482058951_UtWeR-L.jpg
dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 28, 2009
    Ohh...number 1 works great! The water fountain has an interesting shape. number two...the snow on the bench is almost blown out and the composition is not as strong as the first.
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    Personally I'm not really getting the feeling of Serenity...or Chaos, from either of these two. But I think the first one is the stronger image.
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    First one is a stronger image but weak theme, second one is stronger theme but weaker image. If that helps.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • AnnasPhotosAnnasPhotos Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    I like number 1 the best out of the two, but I don't get the feel for the theme in these shots either.
    Photography is just not about taking pictures....
    It's a learning experience. :D
    My Blog
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    I see serenity in both. The snow is freshly fallen, there are no tracks of any kind in it, so things are calm, quiet, and serene. Dave's probably the only person out there braving the elements just for this challenge. rolleyes1.gif

For me, #1 is the stronger image. It has a lot of great things going for it: the shadow cast by the fountain, the lighting, the texture of the virgin snow. The more I look at it, the more it grows on me.
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    I see serenity in both. The snow is freshly fallen, there are no tracks of any kind in it, so things are calm, quiet, and serene. Dave's probably the only person out there braving the elements just for this challenge. rolleyes1.gif

For me, #1 is the stronger image. It has a lot of great things going for it: the shadow cast by the fountain, the lighting, the texture of the virgin snow. The more I look at it, the more it grows on me.

Thanks everyone.
    I have another thought rolling around in my head for this one. I hope it doesn't die from loneliness.:D
    The elements weren't to bad to get these. It was only -2 F.
    dave.

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    #1 is very nice... too me it fits the theme very well.

btw, im going out today also... i need to find my jacket and maybe some long pants its a bit nippy today...
    :hide
    Aaron Nelson
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    davev wrote:
    Thanks everyone.
    I have another thought rolling around in my head for this one. I hope it doesn't die from loneliness.:D
    The elements weren't to bad to get these. It was only -2 F.

OH MY! and here I am griping about the cold front that left if in the 40's today. You have to understand though, we had records in the 80's a couple of days ago. It was great!!
    edited February 28, 2009
    I think I'm going to need the judges to rule on this one.
    I have a composite shot, made up of three different shots. But on of them isn't mine.
    It's from a Korn music video "Freak on a Leash"

I can't think of any other way to get that part of the shot, other than to try drawing it myself.

Here's the shot:
    482482189_YtMxC-X2.jpg

The part in the red area is roughly the part I used in the shot.
    482482203_PyiFD-L.jpg

I have no idea if this is OK, I don't do composites very often for a challenge.
    dave.

edited February 28, 2009
    Upon reading the first rule:

PHOTO ENTRIES - A Must Read!

Entries MUST meet the following criteria, or they will be subject to disqualification:
    Fresh Photos Only: Digital photos must be shot during the respective 2-week contest period. Images must be your own work, and must be taken with a digital camera (no stills extracted from video or other specialized equipment).

I see that this is not allowed.

So, how would go about making a bullet with a dust trail behind it.
    I'm at a loss.

Can I take a picture of the screen, then edit it, and then put it in the shot?
    It seems like a waste of time, but I could do that.

What do you think, allowed by the rules, or am I breaking them?
    dave.

• CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    davev wrote:

Can I take a picture of the screen, then edit it, and then put it in the shot?
    It seems like a waste of time, but I could do that.

What do you think, allowed by the rules, or am I breaking them?

I'm not a judge, but it seems taking a picture of a video frame and extracting a video frame are very similar in intent - you're still using someone else's image, you're just side-stepping the method that is explicitly not allowed. I'm not sure it'd be allowed... but I'll defer to someone who actually has some say in the matter. :D
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    How about photographing a real bullet and then applying it to the composite? But not a moving one. rolleyes1.gif

Maybe with a little motion blur applied to it, you can get the effect you wanted or a reasonable facsimile. ne_nau.gif
    edited March 1, 2009
    Never mind.
    dave.