MIAA Girls Diving Championships

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited March 4, 2009 in Sports
Here's a few shots that I took last weekend of the High School Girls State Diving Championship held at Harvard University. I was fortunate that the coaches and the event director all agreed to let me shoot some from the 10 meter platform that overlooks the 2 3 meter diving boards the girls were using. C&C welcome.

482231320_k3fWW-XL.jpg

482231700_Ftg5f-L.jpg

482231972_bDdxK-L.jpg

482235878_E6xD7-L.jpg

#5 This young lady won the overall event.
482236158_EC3Ga-L.jpg

#6 My neice is the second one from the right and she took 5th place. The other girls placed 1st, 3rd and 6th from left to right respectively.
482235598_n8BKo-L.jpg
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    nicely done!

The second one is just lovely -- good (and interesting) composition and exposure. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    excellant angles!!clap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    Thanks for the kind words. I've really enjoyed this type of shooting.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• OldGuyOldGuy Registered Users Posts: 301 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Hi Randy,
    Really nice captures!:ivar Lucky you for getting the fantastic angles. I like the quality and composition of the shots. Here in Michigan, high school diving competition doesn't include 3-meter, but I think the summer club teams do. As a photographer and diving coach I can appreciate your shots all the more because I know what these young athletes go through in training–the many belly, back and leg smacks they incur along the waymwink.gif . Congratulations to your Niece!

BTW, for all you observers out there, despite appearances, the young lady in #3 will not hit the board!! (I am assuming she is doing a reverse 1-1/2 or 2-1/2 somersault) and the torque of the spin carries her away from the board.clap.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 1, 2009
    These are very nice. I like that you were able to shoot from above rather than from the edge of the pool or lower. They eyes in #3 really make the photo.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited March 2, 2009
    OldGuy wrote:
    Hi Randy,
    Really nice captures!:ivar Lucky you for getting the fantastic angles. I like the quality and composition of the shots. Here in Michigan, high school diving competition doesn't include 3-meter, but I think the summer club teams do. As a photographer and diving coach I can appreciate your shots all the more because I know what these young athletes go through in training–the many belly, back and leg smacks they incur along the waymwink.gif . Congratulations to your Niece!

BTW, for all you observers out there, despite appearances, the young lady in #3 will not hit the board!! (I am assuming she is doing a reverse 1-1/2 or 2-1/2 somersault) and the torque of the spin carries her away from the board.clap.gif

Thanks for the knowledgeable response and the kind words. These kids do work very hard but I think the true unsung heros are you coaches and participating parents who dedicate untold numbers of hours of your personal time to help these kids not only with their sport but helping mold them into responsible young adults. Kudos and thank you because it really takes some special people to make this a reality for the kids....and #3 happens to be my niece as well :).
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited March 2, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    These are very nice. I like that you were able to shoot from above rather than from the edge of the pool or lower. They eyes in #3 really make the photo.

Thanks ian408, I was very fortunate that the event director and everyone ok'd i and I think they are now glad they did as well. It was a lot of fun and hopefully I'll get an opportunity to shoot again next year.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• clcoroniosclcoronios Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Randy, those are terrific - and the angle makes them unique! Nice job!

Carol
    Carol Lynn Coronios
    As You Like It Productions
    Equine photography in the northeast
    Chatham, NY
    edited March 4, 2009
    clcoronios wrote:
    Randy, those are terrific - and the angle makes them unique! Nice job!

Carol

Thanks Carol. I had a lot of fun.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• SoonerShawnSoonerShawn Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    Very cool. Most of the schools here in Oklahoma don't have diving so I've never shot it before, but I'd say you had the best perspecitve in the house for shooting. Really like #3. Good stuff.