Questions on my D40x

ChoeyRepliedChoeyReplied Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited March 2, 2009 in Cameras
How can i set it to shot 15sec or 30sec exposures one after another? with out holding the shutter down on continuous shooting mode.
thanks

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited February 28, 2009
    How can i set it to shot 15sec or 30sec exposures one after another? with out holding the shutter down on continuous shooting mode.
    thanks

I think you need a remote control with an intervalometer function to accomplish something like that.

What is it you are trying to accomplish?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ChoeyRepliedChoeyReplied Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    try to shoot star trails
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    for star trails, look into the 'bulb' function in your manual
    //Leah
    edited March 1, 2009
    Other than DIY it would appear that Nikon would like you to purchase Nikon Capture and use the "Camera Control" function. You would need a laptop to act as the controller and a USB cable to attach to the camera.

If a DIY project is something you would consider Google for the terms:

nikon d40x remote intervalometer

... and you should see a number of potential solutions.
    ziggy53
  • LivingLargeLivingLarge Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    thanks
    With Canon, couldn't you also set up "tethered" to your computer with the Canon software and set these times in? I believe this is so but have not done this as yet. I once heard that Nikon had this feature as well.
    “He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands and his head and his heartis an artist.”
    edited March 1, 2009
    With Canon, couldn't you also set up "tethered" to your computer with the Canon software and set these times in? I believe this is so but have not done this as yet. I once heard that Nikon had this feature as well.
    That's what the Nikon Capture software is for and I believe it is only available via purchase.

Someone also mentioned Nikon Camera Control Pro, which is a little less pricey.

You might also consider TetherPro:

http://www.toneupstudio.com/

I have not used any of these products so I can't really comment on ultimate suitability for the task of long exposure and automated intervalometer.
    ziggy53
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    I'm not sure it's the same controller as the D70 but I got an IR remote to do this direct from hong kong rolleyes1.gif on ebay for $12 or something really cheap.
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • GarrettGarrett Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    thanks
    I'd try just a taping a shirt button over the shutter button in continuous mode as a first try and see what you get. Use the 10sec timer or leave the lens cap on at the start to avoid any camera shake when applying the shirt button.