HELP!!!!!! Canon 1.4x problem

BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
edited March 2, 2009 in Cameras
Major problem, I am in the middle of a shoot for the next week and for some reason when I connect my 1D Mark 2 to my 1.4xTC and the 300 IS L 2.8 it won't work. I get "00" for my Fstop.

connect the 300 by itself...no problems
connect the 70-200 IS L 2.8 to the 1.4xTC and to the cam...no problem

I have disconnected the battery for a while and no success. No rattling sounds from what I can notice. Not sure what is going on but I NEED my TC for the distance I am shooting

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    First thought would be to take a pencil eraser to all the contacts. There might be just enough tarnish on them that you aren't getting the signal voltage required by camera.

Maybe I'm right .... most likely not:D
  • BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    Thanks, tried it and it didn't do anything different. Still "00" with the 300 and working fine with the 70-200
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited February 28, 2009
    When you attach the extender are you attaching to the lens first or the camera first?

How much play is there between the 300mm and the extender? (Rotational and longitudinal)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited March 1, 2009
    connect 1.4x first to camera then 300 to 1.4x

very very little play
    edited March 1, 2009
    BBones wrote:
    connect 1.4x first to camera then 300 to 1.4x

very very little play

Put the camera in Aperture Priority mode.

With the lens and converter attached to the camera, and the camera turned on, contra-rotate and rotate the lens in its mount while you watch trough the viewfinder and keep half-depressing the shutter button (to keep the metering system alive).

Do you ever see the f-stops visible?
    ziggy53
    edited March 1, 2009
    ok set up that way I uncouple the lens and TC while the camera is on. Slowly rotating the lens nothing seems to happen until I get all the way to where it should be locked and I see the Fstop show up. I lock the TC into the lens and it goes back to "00". I play around with it a little more and I get an Error 99.

SO yes, it does seem to make a connection while playing around with it but not permanently
    edited March 1, 2009
    BBones wrote:
    ok set up that way I uncouple the lens and TC while the camera is on. Slowly rotating the lens nothing seems to happen until I get all the way to where it should be locked and I see the Fstop show up. I lock the TC into the lens and it goes back to "00". I play around with it a little more and I get an Error 99.

SO yes, it does seem to make a connection while playing around with it but not permanently

It sounds like you are getting a very poor connection. I would try cleaning all of the contacts again and burnish them with a clean white paper towel, changing the surface frequently to prevent cross-contamination. The paper towel is mildly abrasive and I would only trust the white variety as the colored kind has colorants of unknown content. Try not to get any paper dust/lint inside the camera body.
    ziggy53
    edited March 1, 2009
    Actually it turns out there was a screw about one turn loose. I tightened up everything and noticed it and now I am getting now jiggle AT ALL and it is maintaining the connection

THANKS ZIGGY!!!!
    edited March 1, 2009
    BBones wrote:
    Actually it turns out there was a screw about one turn loose. I tightened up everything and noticed it and now I am getting now jiggle AT ALL and it is maintaining the connection

THANKS ZIGGY!!!!

Naw, this one was all you and I'm glad you persisted and prevailed. thumb.gifclap
    ziggy53
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    BBones wrote:

Wow! eek7.gif A photographer admitting he has a screw loose. That's new rolleyes1.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    This would never happen in Mother Russia. We have too much alcohol around to make sure no dirty contacts pose a problem... And even if they do - the same acohol can make you not care :-) mwink.gif
    Cheers! 1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"