A Taste of Umbria (Italy)

jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
edited March 1, 2009 in People
I had the opportunity to shoot a special cooking class yesterday. A noted chef from Umbria, Italy, was invited in to cook and teach for about 20 friends. These are a few of the images I captured from that event. They were all shot with the flash bounced off the ceiling. We had close quarters, so I went with a wide angle lens. Normally, the distortion would bother me, but I hoped that it would emphasize the fun and good times.

I posted some of the shots of the food over on the "Other Cool Shots" board here.

482232828_wALcj-L-1.jpg

482241852_2nkb3-L-1.jpg

482340948_rXEsq-L-1.jpg

482354315_HgznD-L-1.jpg

482354063_PEkLZ-L-1.jpg

482354542_ay6Wx-L-1.jpg

482245096_nBo9d-L-1.jpg

482212377_hPRZH-L-1.jpg
More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
Jeff Meyers

Comments

• clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    Very nice photosclap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 28, 2009
    Great lighting Jeff!thumb.gif
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    I love the colors and the patterns on the valence and some of the clothing and that fab wallpaper. It's very homey indeed! And I wish I was there to eat whatever was being concocted in that kitchen :D
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    These look great!thumb.gif

I like that you eased some tilting into the shots to convey action and to aslo keep them from appearing stiff and formal. The quality and balance of flash with the ambient light looks good as well. The wider angles work well with this type of "event" photography. Good choice!

Not sure if you used a gell here, but it appears a denser CTO gel on the flash would have helped to better balance the flash and ambient color temperatures.

Now to the important stuff.....how did it taste?ne_nau.gif
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Now to the important stuff.....how did it taste?ne_nau.gif

My very first thoughts as I scrolled through! thumb.gif Very nice shots, btw. :D
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    My very first thoughts as I scrolled through! thumb.gif Very nice shots, btw. :D

Thanks everyone. Oh yeah. We'll it tasted amazing. I couldn't get over how fresh and tasty even the bruschetta was. We talk about our images have "pop." Well this food definitely had pop. The fresh garlic does it every time!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • justMEjustME Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Wonderfu lighting and spot on color!!:D
    Canon EOS 30D & 50D
    Arizona, USA
    http://justineolson.smugmug.com/

..........................................................................................
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Jeff, these are wonderful! You really captured the scene, the lighting is great, and I WANT SOME OF THAT FOOD!! rolleyes1.gif

(Beautiful kitchen, too!!)