First try at product shots

p27rpyp27rpy Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
edited March 1, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
hey everbody,

my gf was selling some of her BeautiControl stuff, and wanted some fancy pics for her auctions. I decided to help out, and tried to get a nice sophisticated bunch of shots together that make the product look real classy, etc.

heres a really, really bad sketch of my setup. one thing i forgot in there was that i covered the flash with a piece of paper to diffuse it somewhat.

[IMG]http://www.hi-upload.com/upload/uploaded11/horrible sketch.JPG[/IMG]

i used the mirror because i figured that the flash would bounce off of it, and into the bottles which would make em look more colorful. i had trouble getting the labels to show though.

anyways, what do you guys think of the outcome? those with experience in stuff like this, what can i do to improve them? i thought they turned out pretty well for my first time ever doing something like that. one thing i would do next time is remove the little tube thingys...i think they're distracting.

472139497_BXVrd-L.jpg

480786080_UMKYM-L.jpg

472139442_q5mFU-L.jpg

472139556_4rnjT-L.jpg

472139233_MTK5J-L.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    p27rpy wrote:
    hey ever body,

my gf was selling some of her BeautiControl stuff, and wanted some fancy pics for her auctions. I decided to help out, and tried to get a nice sophisticated bunch of shots together that make the product look real classy, etc.

heres a really, really bad sketch of my setup. one thing i forgot in there was that i covered the flash with a piece of paper to diffuse it somewhat.

i used the mirror because i figured that the flash would bounce off of it, and into the bottles which would make em look more colorful. i had trouble getting the labels to show though.

anyways, what do you guys think of the outcome? those with experience in stuff like this, what can i do to improve them? i thought they turned out pretty well for my first time ever doing something like that. one thing i would do next time is remove the little tube thingys...i think they're distracting.

First up I gotta tell you I love your background material clap.gif

I am so unqualified to comment on this shot,
    so I shall just tell you how I see it ..... I'm not keen on how you have used the mirror.

I think you could have achieved a great result without the mirror being under the bottle (my personal view)

I saw someone else post about using mirrors, not sure if it was on this site or elsewhere....they used 3 small mirrors about 5 inches x 7 inches in size, and put them around the item being photographed to disperse the light.

The mirrors were being propped up to stand on a slight angle horizontally.

I think you have done an excellent job for a first try,
    and like I always say, I've never known anyone to take a step backward as they experiment in photography.
    You are sooooo on the right path with these shots clap.gif

I want to try this sort of photography myself, using a homemade light-box.

Thank you for the inspiration p27rpy thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • p27rpyp27rpy Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    First up I gotta tell you I love your background material clap.gif

I am so unqualified to comment on this shot,
    so I shall just tell you how I see it ..... I'm not keen on how you have used the mirror.

I think you could have achieved a great result without the mirror being under the bottle (my personal view)

I saw someone else post about using mirrors, not sure if it was on this site or elsewhere....they used 3 small mirrors about 5 inches x 7 inches in size, and put them around the item being photographed to disperse the light.

The mirrors were being propped up to stand on a slight angle horizontally.

I think you have done an excellent job for a first try,
    and like I always say, I've never known anyone to take a step backward as they experiment in photography.
    You are sooooo on the right path with these shots clap.gif

I want to try this sort of photography myself, using a homemade light-box.

Thank you for the inspiration p27rpy thumb.gif .... Skippy :D

great info! that mirror trick you described sounds like it would work really well in this application. ill have to give it a try! i agree that mirrors on the sides could work really well with dispersing the light of the flash and making it look much more lively.

thanks a lot for the kind words! they mean a lot. i'll make sure to post up more as i shoot.
  • bob swansonbob swanson Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    :D Good job for one light but if possible I'd try another couple of flashes. At least one on the opposite side (1 stop less) or a reflector (or piece of white board) and one above to illuminate the top and also act as a partial background light. You've achieved richness in color and avoided reflections and this is important. Good job. bsvirginian
    p27rpy wrote:
    hey everbody,

[IMG]http://www.hi-upload.com/upload/uploaded11/horrible sketch.JPG[/IMG]

472139497_BXVrd-L.jpg

480786080_UMKYM-L.jpg

472139442_q5mFU-L.jpg

472139556_4rnjT-L.jpg

472139233_MTK5J-L.jpg