Hiking in the Desert

AngryRedAngryRed Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited March 4, 2009 in Landscapes
So honestly I was only going to post #5 however I figured what the hey, I'll throw up the set in case my eyes are missing something. This set is the result of my modest hike in the desert today and actually my first attempt at the infamous HDR.

Anyway, I'm tough so let me have it.

IMG_001.jpg

IMG_002.jpg

IMG_003.jpg

IMG_004.jpg

IMG_005.jpg
Love this place, but I am an ADV rider too!
F800GS

Comments

• coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    The first is my favorite, it's got the strongest composition with the vegetation in the foreground.

You're right to combine exposures when the contrast ratio is this crazy (whether through HDR or creating separate layers in Photoshop and masking them). This would also be a good time to use a graduated neutral density filter.

I would say that they all need a bit more contrast, if you were using Photomatix, move the gamma slider back to the left a bit. Also you could change the black point in levels to increase the shadows and make the photos look less flat. Also, I would get rid of that post :D

It looks like this spot would also be good at sunrise (assuming these photos were sunset and not sunrise), the exposure would be more manageable, and you might get some glow at the top of those mountains as they would be front-lit instead of back-lit. The only thing you would be missing is that big ball of fire.

I miss the desert already and I was just there last week (for the first - but not the last - time).
  • dustin32dustin32 Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    #1 is absolutely gorgeous, with interest throughout the composition.
    #5 is also really neat, though to me it looks like the horizon is tilted down on the left...
  • manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    I like #2 because of the texture in the clouds and the detail in the ground. Would be even better if the sun were off-center, but still very good.
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Nice. I agree that image #1 is your strongest here and also feel it would
    benefit with a bit more contrast. Perhaps a wee saturation too.
    Its a lovely shot. thumb.gif

"Infamous HDR" rolleyes1.gifLike that. Just downloaded trial version Photomatix this
    morning. Looks like its going to take me awhile to nail any really good results.
    Michael
  • AngryRedAngryRed Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    DaddyO wrote:
    Nice. I agree that image #1 is your strongest here and also feel it would
    benefit with a bit more contrast. Perhaps a wee saturation too.
    Its a lovely shot. thumb.gif

"Infamous HDR" rolleyes1.gifLike that. Just downloaded trial version Photomatix this
    morning. Looks like its going to take me awhile to nail any really good results.

Thanks guys, I'm going to play around the Photomatix settings and see if I can garner a better result.
    F800GS
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 2, 2009
    AngryRed wrote:
    Thanks guys, I'm going to play around the Photomatix settings and see if I can garner a better result.
    Your Photomatix settings are fine and typical of what you want to see straight out of Photomatix. Now it just needs a bit of post-processing to make it come alive. If you like, I can post a version of your #1 photo that I've post-processed to illustrate the point.

Regards,
    -joel
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Your Photomatix settings are fine and typical of what you want to see straight out of Photomatix. Now it just needs a bit of post-processing to make it come alive. If you like, I can post a version of your #1 photo that I've post-processed to illustrate the point.

Regards,
    -joel
    I hope AngryRed says yes to this. I'd certainly like to see your result and
    hear of your PP steps used to make it pop. For now I appreciate your point...
    "Your Photomatix settings are fine and typical of what you want to see straight out of Photomatix."
    Michael
  • AngryRedAngryRed Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    If you like, I can post a version of your #1 photo that I've post-processed to illustrate the point.

Regards,
    -joel

I'd love to see an example.
    F800GS
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 3, 2009
    AngryRed wrote:
    I'd love to see an example.
    Great! Not all folks like their pictures edited, so I think it's always best to ask.

Here's the shot with only two minor tweaks: 1) I set the black point in the Levels panel, by moving the left slider over just a bit to the right. 2) I also applied a mild "standard" curve by putting a point in the center of the curve line, and then bumped the middle of the higher tones a bit. Actually, the black point adjustment could have been done in the curves panel as well. But I started with levels first.

This of course is all highly subjective, personal taste and all that, but looks better to my eye. I'd be interested to know what you think.

IMG_001.jpg
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    Wow what a difference! Experience pays.