DSS #20 - School's Out

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited March 4, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
There's a back story to how I arrived at this place, but let's start with what you think... It's an old school in Shanghai in the process of being demolished. I took shots from two basic angles and I can obviously work on the conversion. I was going for a 'harsh' feel. It's not a pretty place. I'd tended to think of the content as chaotic, with the destruction, graffiti and urban sprawl, unless of course the idea of an abandoned school without children is calming...

1) Close in on two buildings

482759038_2bM8y-XL.jpg

2) The full campus with background buildings

482763977_QorTt-X2.jpg

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    I really like these Shots! Number 1 particularly. Personally I think executing a chaotic composition is hard. I'm sure it can be done with these types of shots, but I also think causing the viewer to view these as chaotic will take special vision and composition.

Short answer is work within this area for more compelling comp~

cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    #1 i think is the better one. Something to consider perhaps is adding some vignetting.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    #1 i think is the better one. Something to consider perhaps is adding some vignetting.
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    I like number 2. It might be a slight stretch for chaotic, but I think it works clap.gif I know you'll polish it up to perfection.:ivar
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    angevin1 wrote:
    I really like these Shots! Number 1 particularly. Personally I think executing a chaotic composition is hard. I'm sure it can be done with these types of shots, but I also think causing the viewer to view these as chaotic will take special vision and composition.

Short answer is work within this area for more compelling comp~

cheers, tom

Thanks Tom. I have a couple of other compositions and exposures that I can work on and I might be able to get back to the location next weekend. Assuming it's still there. eek7.gif

If it is, I might try to see if there are any other angles to shot the complex from. It might be interesting to have the train station I was standing in in the background. Plus, I want to get some shots of the food vendors that line the fence serving commuters.
    edited March 2, 2009

I was just writing a note to you when my flight was called... I'll give adding vignette a go, thanks for the suggestion!
    edited March 2, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    I like number 2. It might be a slight stretch for chaotic, but I think it works clap.gif I know you'll polish it up to perfection.:ivar

I've got an idea to make #2 truly chaotic. No idea if it will work as a photo though. I hope your confidence in my polishing abilities isn't misplaced!
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    I like number 1. But I am looking forward to seeing what else you come up with here.
    Man, I would love to shoot there!!!
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
    edited March 4, 2009
    Ok, just back to Shanghai and had some time to do some rework on the previous shots. I might have a chance to get back to the site this weekend but I think I'm going to be prioritising securing a place to live. And, getting up early to get some shots of construction workers having "morning tea" at 6am outside the newest sillily tall building in Pudong.

So here you go, two versions again. I pretty comfortable with the way I'm leaning, but very interested in any C&C, fine tuning suggestions, being told it's all crap. hehe...

1) Chaos and Ugly: Dan, I'm sure this isn't the sort of polish you expected, but I really need to do a re-shoot of the whole campus to get good raw working material. I'll keep playing and definitely interested in your thoughts.

485054195_x8Hkh-XL.jpg

2) Chaos yet Smooth: Pretty much true to the site.

485042984_GGo69-XL.jpg
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    What I liked so much about your original # 2 at the beginning of this thread, is that the dilapidated slums are right next to the new projects. To me, that is chaos personified. As you zoom/crop in to just one part of the slums, it occurs to me as less chaotic. Just my opinion, but there it is. Good luck thumb.gif