Poor man's macro: Ladybug

jaxjax Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
edited March 8, 2009 in Holy Macro
Finally saw something small moving in the garden. Well, to be honest.. my wife did.:D
Anyway, it gave me a chance to practice a little with my ultra-cheap macro setup, an old Canon FD lens (28 mm) and a reverse ring.

I used the pop-up flash and had a piece of paper stuck to the top of the flash which acted as a reflector. All though I had set FEC to -1, some area's where still blown...

Anyway, here are a few that turned out decent.

3319810588_832cb0296e_o.jpg

3319796932_aaae3fd89d_o.jpg

3319792390_23746dcf76_o.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    jax wrote:
    Finally saw something small moving in the garden. Well, to be honest.. my wife did.:D
    Anyway, it gave me a chance to practice a little with my ultra-cheap macro setup, an old Canon FD lens (28 mm) and a reverse ring.

I used the pop-up flash and had a piece of paper stuck to the top of the flash which acted as a reflector. All though I had set FEC to -1, some area's where still blown...

Anyway, here are a few that turned out decent.

Wow Jax ... your set up works really well clap.gif
    Photographing bugs with reflective bodies is a problem for anyone using a flash, you just have to find ways of diffusing it or toning it down :D

You've picked up lots of detail, your done really well with this new setup,
    can't wait to see what you can produce with a little more practise clap.gif

Well Done! .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Good ones - would guess you are getting about 3:1 mag with that setup.
    Whats the focus distance in front of the lens ?

Brian V.
  • jaxjax Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Thanks Skippy & Brian for the nice comments :D
    Brian, It is just a little over 2:1, according to the test shots I made of a ruler.

Focus distance is a bit of a problem yes :D, it is an inch or two. Fortunately this lady bug was a bit cold so she didn't move all that much.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited March 3, 2009
  • CoreheadCorehead Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2009
    You know, that first shot would have been a good subject for focus stacking.

Assuming, of course, that your "subject" would just stand still long enough for the shots you needed.

But we all know how the word "assume" breaks down, don't we?