DSS #20 - Lull of the Ocean

CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
edited March 2, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
While on vacation in Mexico I decided to shoot some things with the challenge in mind. I've come up with the following three as variations on the same theme and am looking for feedback regarding which one to choose. An internal poll at my house is split. :dunno

I also welcome all other feedback regarding composition or the B&W conversion!
Here they are:

482903221_mWmoa-L.jpg

482902865_5RuTZ-L.jpg

482903645_nMmy9-L.jpg

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Welcome back! Great to see you here again. :D

I'm torn between #1 and #3. headscratch.gif

I really like the light the sun is casting on the mother and her daughter in #1. What's distracting to me are the blown highlights in the water. Perhaps there's a crop you can try to lessen that???

Love the reflections and the rippled shoreline on both.

The simplicity of #3 also appeals to me. I like how the mother and daughter are both standing still and are gazing at something in the distance.
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Welcome back! Great to see you here again. :D

I'm torn between #1 and #3. headscratch.gif

I really like the light the sun is casting on the mother and her daughter in #1. What's distracting to me are the blown highlights in the water. Perhaps there's a crop you can try to lessen that???

Love the reflections and the rippled shoreline on both.

The simplicity of #3 also appeals to me. I like how the mother and daughter are both standing still and are gazing at something in the distance.

Glad to be back in the DSS challenges - I finally have had some time to think about it again!

FYI - the mother/daughter are my wife & daughter. :D

I like too liked the simplicity and mood of #3 but having the horizon in the image added some depth which is what I liked about #1. Here's a crop of #1 without the sun & associated blown-out areas.

482961620_iaDt5-L.jpg
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    I like it! I'd crop it a little more to put your wife and daughter more off-center. I'd crop the first reflection from the bottom and then crop a bit more from the right and see how you like it.

This is such a classic, ageless shot!
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    I like #2 the best
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    I love one.
  • dreamcometruedreamcometrue Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    I love #2 the best. Although the comp centers the two walking, the picture still captures all the elements that make the picture balanced. The bluff in the distance, the setting sun, and the shadow of the two really piece it together. Good capture!!:D
    Artistic Design Photography LLC
    http://www.adesignphotography.com
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 1, 2009
    Welcome back! I like the first one...not sure that the crop works the best for it in your edit. Might be because the mountain is already centered and now the people are with the crop.
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Thanks for all the comments - looks like there is a variety of opinions and favorites. I guess that's good. headscratch.gif

For those who commented on #1, do you prefer this edit with the people more off-center (daughter is more at the 1/3 line from the right).

482981341_neRov-L.jpg
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    CSwinton wrote:
    Thanks for all the comments - looks like there is a variety of opinions and favorites. I guess that's good. headscratch.gif

For those who commented on #1, do you prefer this edit with the people more off-center (daughter is more at the 1/3 line from the right).

482981341_neRov-L.jpg

I love this!
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."