Daytona Bike Week Madness

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited March 5, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Bike Week in Daytona, FL is one of the world's great spectacles. In all my years of going there and taking pictures, I have never gotten a shot, or even a series of shots, that adequately conveys the enormity or full spectrum of the event. In the course of a week, over 500,000 bikers will visit the area. The sights and scenes are amazing.

The two most active areas are around the race track and around Main Street, at the beaches, where all these shots were taken. There are, however, many other areas that are real hot spots. It's almost too much to absorb.

482898484_P37tY-XL.jpg
482898730_gSTVj-XL.jpg
482898937_gygF2-XL.jpg
482898718_977cL-XL.jpg
482898734_m3xtF-XL.jpg
482899332_CfoRQ-XL.jpg
482899106_2YGFL-XL.jpg
OOPS!!
482899193_PbTYp-XL.jpg
OK! OK! Just one for the guys
482899340_A6q4Q-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    One for the guys. Nice one. thumb.gifmwink.gif

Really nice series of pictures. Enjoyed everyone. Well done. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Michael
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Hey Michael,

I'm afraid they'd run me off the board if I put in any more of the " just for guys " shots. I used to go to Daytona for the whole week of wild times...I'm now down to two days. That place runs wide open from dawn to late at night. Everybody ought to go there for Bike Week at least once because nothing you will read or see in pictures will ever prepare you for the sights and sounds that go on.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Howdy Tom,

Great series, You always get such great detail and color in your shots, always a treat!!

I can't even imagine all the things that go on, but I'll bet there are a lot of nice Bikes:D

Post some more if you get a chance.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited March 2, 2009
    Hi Craig,

Thanks for the kind words.

There's one spot, not far from where these pictures were taken, that you can see probably as many as 5,000 bikes in one sweeping view....maybe even more than that. It makes you wonder if every bike ever made has shown up for the event. I'll post more shots later.

Tom
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Hey Michael,

I'm afraid they'd run me off the board if I put in any more of the " just for guys " shots. I used to go to Daytona for the whole week of wild times...I'm now down to two days. That place runs wide open from dawn to late at night. Everybody ought to go there for Bike Week at least once because nothing you will read or see in pictures will ever prepare you for the sights and sounds that go on.

Tom

Think your right about getting a thread booted were you to post one like that here. rolleyes1.gif
    So to further see what you mean I checked out some small images at
    daytonabikeweek dot com. Hmmmm. :D A couple of days at this activity
    could happen were I too visit a friend in Florida.
    Michael
    edited March 2, 2009
    Michael....

Come on over. Start planning for next year's trip. They stage a junior version of this shindig in the Fall...Biketoberfest...but you'll want to come for the " real thing ". always scheduled for the tale end of February - early March. You won't be disappointed.

Tom
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited March 3, 2009
    Great series, Tom. I had no idea it was such a huge event. I think I would be a little nervous about pointing a camera at a bunch of bikers. Or are they used to it?
    edited March 3, 2009
    Richard...

Well, you do have to be a little prudent as to where you go sticking your camera lens. But, really, no more so than taking anyone's picture anywhere else. I stick mostly to large, group scenes but occasionally I'll single out some unique character ( and there are seemingly hundreds of them ). At those times, I'll typically ask if they mind and most of the time they are happy to accommodate me....people are basically hams.

The truth is, however, that the makeup of the crowds at Bike Week has morphed into a much more gentile and sophisticated bunch. You'll see as many, or more, lawyers, doctors, managers, and average middle-class guys ( and girls....yes, thousands of them ) roaring around in their leathers then you'll see of the old, hardcore biker group. The hardened biker is still there and there are certain places that overtly cater to that group, but, all in all, it is a much softer atmosphere in Daytona these days.

Tom
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Hi Tom
    Looks like a wonderful photo-op! I was there about 12 years ago just before bike week when the early birds were arriving. Quite a sight indeed.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited March 3, 2009
    Hi Jack,

Yea, this affair is a shooter's dream. You can't hardly walk a step without seeing something else you want to capture.

Take care, my friend.

Tom
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    Richard...

Well, you do have to be a little prudent as to where you go sticking your camera lens. But, really, no more so than taking anyone's picture anywhere else. I stick mostly to large, group scenes but occasionally I'll single out some unique character ( and there are seemingly hundreds of them ). At those times, I'll typically ask if they mind and most of the time they are happy to accommodate me....people are basically hams.

The truth is, however, that the makeup of the crowds at Bike Week has morphed into a much more gentile and sophisticated bunch. You'll see as many, or more, lawyers, doctors, managers, and average middle-class guys ( and girls....yes, thousands of them ) roaring around in their leathers then you'll see of the old, hardcore biker group. The hardened biker is still there and there are certain places that overtly cater to that group, but, all in all, it is a much softer atmosphere in Daytona these days.

Tom

Yeah that's why I haven't gone for awhile

Like your shots thumb.gif
    edited March 4, 2009
    Hi Ben,

I hear you, brother. But it's still the best game in town and, as long as I can throw my leg over my steed, I'm going on down there and join the fracas.

Tom
  • vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    I'm a lifelong motorcycle guy (wouldn't call myself a biker). Whenever I shoot a bike event of some sort I usually will ask a guy, girl, or group the following: "Mind if I take a photo? Anybody with outstanding warrants out of the shot!" It usually gets a laugh and cooperation. I have on occasion had someone hold up a hand, turn and walk away. mwink.gif

I also wear a bike t-shirt of some sort and my favorite old motorcycle ball cap with an obscure brand name on it. Helps get across that I'm not some some guy who see others as odd balls and wants to take advantage. "Respect" is a very big deal with bikers.
    413125792_L7zdE-M.jpg
    "I didn't choose the life, it chose me."
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
    edited March 5, 2009
    vintagemxr...

I've got to agree with you here. Showing respect for any person or group you're hoping to shoot just makes sense.

If you could see me in all my riding attire you'd think I just got off the trail after riding with Attila the Hun....talk about blending in.

Tom