Contract Question

Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
edited March 1, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
So, with this thread as a reference, I need to write up a contract.

Basically I want it stating that I get to keep the rights to my photos. I work for a company who installs high end custom home theater. I'm an installer and salesmen. Since I'm also a photographer, they want me to photograph various jobs and things for portfolios. As it is now, how I understand it, by them paying me under my current job to take photos, they own the rights to the photos. They are paying me my normal pay, which isn't a whole lot, and quite a bit less than my photography wage. I've done some shooting for them already at my current pay, and wouldn't figure that asking for more money and keeping the rights to the photos at the same time would be a good idea. Assuming I want to keep my current job (which I really do) as well as keep shooting photos for them, but want to own the rights to the photos, what should I do?

Should I ask for more money for my photography? Should I have them "hire" me, or pay me outside of my current job, as a photographer to take the photographs? It seems that'd be a lot more complicated on their end for taxes and such, as well as my end, although I do need to start working it this way for future jobs. How should I proceed? I have some shooting for them coming up next week, and would like to have this in place by then.

Sample:
"I/we (insert name of company) hereby relinquish all rights to photos taken by Bryce Lewis of Candid Arts Photography to Bryce Lewis of Candid Arts Photography. I further agree that any use of these photos is not permitted with out express written permission from Bryce Lewis of Candid Arts Photography. I/we (insert name of company) agree to pay Bryce Lewis of Candid Arts Photography (insert dollar amount [should I just put my hourly wage now, or ask for my photography wage?]) per hour for the time it takes to photograph and edit the photos taken."

Now I know that this isn't near worded correctly, nor does it cover everything I need it to cover. The company I work for is a really easy going, cool, chill group of guys, so I don't think that there would really be any legal issues, but I just want something in place so that I own the rights to the photos.

Aside from this, I'd also like one (or put in the same contract if it's possible) stating the useage by them of the photos. I.e. online or in a portfolio, or for advertising purposes, with credits given to me (the photographer). Unlimited time useage unless otherwise stated by me. The company may not recieve a profit, claim ownership, or (anything else) from the photos. That kind of stuff.

Anyone with experience in this maybe throw up a quick one for me? I'd GREATLY appreciate it...
Failed to load the poll.