Dest

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited March 3, 2009 in People
I read a book that said it you want to learn to shoot, shoot. Shoot lots. Shoot every day. My daughter, Destiny is often a willing participant.

CC welcome

n787095401_6069243_2042907.jpg

n787095401_6069239_4869846.jpg

n787095401_6069235_6227825.jpg

n787095401_6069234_3659622.jpg

n787095401_6069233_4118396.jpg

n787095401_6069232_1842862.jpg

Comments

• marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    So true, josh, so true lol.

Was it a hazy/cloudy afternoon? I like the light a lot. #2 and #4 jumps out at me, although the pose and backdrop in #1 are terrific. #2 is my favorite, though the uneven catchlights are a little distracting.

Very nice set! You're so lucky to have a ready model at hand ^_^ The only ones I have are my cats and they're not willing :(
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Just keeps getting better Josh! I like the poses and expressions very much. Color balance is key now......get rid of the yellow cast and these will pop.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Beautiful... but the yellow cast is abrasive. If it's intentional, tone it down or desaturate. Again, lovely shots of a beautiful girl.

Caroline
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Hey Josh - nice work. Here's what I see
    1. Nice pose. Light on hair is good. Background blur - very nice - it seperates her from the background very effectively. It might have been better had the spots not been quite so bright?
    2. Same as above. Light looks a bit flat. Some artificial light (or bounced) to put some relief shadows on her face would have added. Loose the windows in the background.
    3. This is cool is so many ways!thumb.gif The only thing I think I might do is to crop a little tighter and see how that works. The light is very nice on her face - I like the very gentle relief shadows caused by her nose, etc. thumb.gif
    4. Love this shot! Aside from the color cast, I don't see anything to be changed here! The light is just so sweet!!!
    5. Same as #4 in most respects. I would clone out the spots on her jacket and the bright spot in the upper right corner of the frame. Might crop a bit from the left and bottom.
    6. No question - this is the "pick of the litter"!! A slight crop from bottom and right, print it and hang it on a wall!! The slight yellow color cast works soooooo well here - it appropriately adds to the warmth of the shot and it's nicely offset by the bit of blue sky that is visible through the grass. Did you have a reflector to camera left? If so, good choice!
    The yellow cast that others are complaining about - yep - need to get rid of it in all but the last one. But, that's an easy fix in post - no worries theredeal.gif
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    thanks for the comments, everyone.

All were shot in the shade except the last one. the sun was bright, no clouds. shot on shade color balance on all of them.

Scott, yes, there is a reflector camera left on the last one. I had some where the angle didn't get that spot on her left cheek, but the expression wasn't as good. since i didn't have anyone with me, I used one of those big cardboard things you can get at office max for school projects/ presentations as a reflector. I think hauling around some kind of off camera flash/ umbrella might have improved the others.

No arguements about the color cast. My struggle is I like it warm but don't want it too warm. I don't want it gray card right but I don't want it too warm either. I hadn't thought about pulling down the saturation; I might try that.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    No arguements about the color cast. My struggle is I like it warm but don't want it too warm. I don't want it gray card right but I don't want it too warm either. I hadn't thought about pulling down the saturation; I might try that.
    If you are having a bit of trouble with the color cast but don't want it "gray card correct" maybe shoot a gray card and set the WB to that as a starting point and modify it from there. The beauty of that is that, once you have the adjustment from "correct" figured out, you can code up a quick action and use that to get the warmth you like on a more consistant basis. Just a thought.