DSS#20: Of cats and wine

MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
edited March 9, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've been hoping to get a shot of my cats stretched out in the sun, but neither cats nor sun are cooperating. They are happy however to sprawl all over us at night, so here's be best I've got so far.

Looking for brutal feedback here. (1) Is the image itself interesting or too ordinary/boring? and (2) if it is interesting, how could it be improved?

Thanks!

483674314_7Kh6r-L.jpg

Comments

• Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    I think if fits the topic well! I think I would like to see her legs not cropped off though...
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Karrie McD wrote:
    I think it fits the topic well! I think I would like to see her legs not cropped off though...

Yep, that certainly occured to me. I was worried that if I showed all of her stretched out then her upper body and the cats would be too small in the picture, so I cut them way back. But I figured I'd hear about it :D

Thank you kindly, and please continue whipping away....
  • TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Would prefer the legs uncropped too. Maybe with the whole sofa and a more panoramic crop ?
    Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    i find the remote a little distracting... it detracts from the feel of the image, i think. the woman's face is so serene and content and the cat is so happy, and then suddenly there's a remote... it seems like it's saying "oh yeah, and we need TV for serenity and happiness". i'm sure that's not at all the intention, and maybe it's just me because i personally am fairly anti-tv, but it seems to take away from the image instead of add to it.

other than that, it's great. if you can't expand the image to include the feet, would it be possible to crop it in at all? maybe to just below the elbow and to the space between the two kitties?
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Kinkajou wrote:
    i find the remote a little distracting... it detracts from the feel of the image, i think. the woman's face is so serene and content and the cat is so happy, and then suddenly there's a remote... it seems like it's saying "oh yeah, and we need TV for serenity and happiness". i'm sure that's not at all the intention, and maybe it's just me because i personally am fairly anti-tv, but it seems to take away from the image instead of add to it.

other than that, it's great. if you can't expand the image to include the feet, would it be possible to crop it in at all? maybe to just below the elbow and to the space between the two kitties?

Good call. For some people the TV remote is a mandatory part of the equation, and to others that's just wrong! :D

Here's the crop of the offending elements. Not bad at all, it feels a little more intimate this way as well. I think this may be the way to go. Thanks for the idea.

483816871_NWrFC-L.jpg
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    That second crop works well! thumb.gif

Also really like your B&W conversion.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 2, 2009
    second crop isthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    copped version is much better... thumb.gif

Winston
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Awesome! I like it much better now.
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif The cropped version definately works better imo.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    AndMan wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif The cropped version definately works better imo.

oh yay! i'm glad it worked out! :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!