dss #20 possibles - C&C wanted

AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
edited March 5, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I managed to get out this weekend and shoot some possibles for dss 20.
I'm hoping you kind folks can help me on whether any of these are suitable or whether I need to rethink.

483596147_2VWo4-L-1.jpg

483596380_APDx6-L-1.jpg

483595718_XdgRV-L-2.jpg

And a couple of variations
483597228_nrfor-L-1.jpg

483596895_4PZJa-L-3.jpg

Many thanks for looking and as always C&C appreciated.

Peter
Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    I think #4 is best of the set
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    I agree with pyro, I like number 4 the best.
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Thanks Pyro & Karrie for the feedback, very much appreciated.

Peter
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    thumb.gif I agree

All of them are beautiful. Where were these taken?

Peace, g
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Karrie McD wrote:
    I agree with pyro, I like number 4 the best.

I am interested to hear why Karrie and Pyro go for number 4. I'm torn- I think I like the inclusion of the entirety of the bridge structure, but the composition seems more "tightly packed" if that makes any sense. Could you guys elucidate?
    Cave ab homine unius libri
    edited March 2, 2009
    Thanks Gail.

These were taken at a place called Stowe Landscape Gardens, just outside Buckingham UK.

Built in the 18th century there are over 40 monuments, greek temples, bridges and such like. In other words - lots to photograph :D

Peter
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    I'd like #1 with the treatment (especially contrast) of #4 :) #1 composition works fine with the entire bridge imo but it needs some level adjust (or something)
    Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/
    edited March 2, 2009
    AndMan wrote:
    Thanks Gail.

These were taken at a place called Stowe Landscape Gardens, just outside Buckingham UK.

Built in the 18th century there are over 40 monuments, greek temples, bridges and such like. In other words - lots to photograph :D

Peter

This is a wonderful place. Would love to see it. You have photographed it well. I feel like I could walk right in.

peace, g:D

I'd love to see that church/castle that is in the distance to.
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    I love #4, but I also like #3. Very nice location & very nice photos.

Sherry
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Another one for #4. What draws me into it is the light on the bridge. I wish iy wasn't chopped off in one corner. But to be honest I was so captivated by the lighting that I missed it.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Andman, I'm so glad you said you said you're in the UK in the other thread, because i was sittting here SURE I"ve been to this spot ... but I couldn't remember if it's Castle Howard or not!! Oy. I'm getting oooolllddd

Oh, photos, yes. Cough. The pictures. 4 and 5 for me - I really like the long pano, but agree that the light in #4 is magical.

(If it's not Castle Howard, is it Sherborne? This is driving me nuts - I KNOW I've been there!!!)
    edited March 3, 2009
    Diva, its at Stowe House about 4 miles outside Buckingham.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

edited March 3, 2009
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback and the positive comments, I'm glad you like them.

Based on the feedback I've revistited the crop of #4, I needed to get rid of some annoying & intrusive river bank in the bottom right but may have gone a tad overboard. Unfortunately (and this may be my age) I don't remember all the steps I took during the conversion to get #4 headscratch.gif and I cropped it in the RAW & then converted. Well that'll teach me nod.gif.

I also looked at #1 but there wasn't much there, #1 was taken on Saturday when the light was pretty blah, #4 was taken on a reshoot on Sunday when the light was a lot better.

If you could let me have your opinions on the rework I'd appreciate it.

#4 for comparison
    483597228_nrfor-L-1.jpg

The extended version #4a
    484462790_ue5Ao-L-1.jpg

And a new one from a lower angle #6
    484354430_L59sB-L-1.jpg

Thanks again for your feedback

Peter
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    AndMan wrote:
    Diva, its at Stowe House about 4 miles outside Buckingham.

THANK you! I knew I'd been there, but couldn't quite place it (nothing like falling asleep running through every stately home you've ever been to, trying to remember the specifics of the grounds and follies.... rolleyes1.gif)

4a works for me. The only nit would be if it's possible to straighten it slightly - tricky because I think the ground is uneven enough to mean that if one element appears true another will not, but I'm finding the lean of the buildings at the top of the hill a little distracting. But even without that, it's grand! thumb.gif
    edited March 3, 2009
    I like the lower angle except for the top of the building on the left edge looks like it's leaning?and needs some more room.

If you don't get a chance to go back for a reshoot of the lower angle I would go with your your redo of the shot. It seem like it has a little more contrast to which is nice and seems to give it a little punch. Nice work. I'm sure others will chime in and see things maybe I don't.

Peace, g
    edited March 4, 2009
    Diva & Gail, thanks for the feedback on the new images.

I've tried straightening the buildings but, as you suspected Diva, when I get one looking right something else looks off. :bash But if at first you don't succeed ..... read the manual.

Thanks again

Peter
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• 300m300m Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    #4 & #5 I like the pano. Very nice job and location. Great tones on the shot in 1&4.
  • Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    I have to say I like #4a, I do like the lower angle shot more as a stand alone image, but I dont see it fitting the theme of serenity ( I assume that's what you're going for? ) as the bridge seems to be too imposing on the lower angle shot.

Nice conversion btw.

Tim
    edited March 5, 2009
    John, Tim,

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page