First try with studio setup

GrlyGrly Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
edited March 3, 2009 in People
Hi there,

I guess it's about time I jump in and get some CC. This is the first time my daughter was actually willing to sit for me for more than 1 minute. I decided to use my AB800 with shoot through umbrella and a reflector.

482580071_2eMGe-L.jpg

482586471_hLdGC-L.jpg

482250300_tYw5P-L.jpg

And just for kicks:

"Please Lord, tell mommy to stop taking my picture!"

482272191_EjRYt-L.jpg

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    you have a lovely little girl.thumb.gif

The 3rd shot is my favorites..great expression. clap.gif

It appears your exposure level is jumping around a bit. The 1st shot is a darker, then the next shot is bit brighter then the 3rd shot is the brightest. Not to say the exposures are outside the levels of acceptability with exception to the 1st shot which is touch too dark for me. Just when they are presented as a set..it shows.

Last nit pick..the 1st and last shot..you are getting the up the nostrils POV which can be unflattering.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • GrlyGrly Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Thanks for the comments!

I am not sure what's up with the exposure levels. I didn't change anything while shooting this but she was moving around A LOT! She was in love with the umbrella and kept wanting to touch it, sometimes getting very close so that could be why some are so bright and others not. Perhaps I will try adjusting them. I really didn't do anything in PP other than crop and some minor adjusting.

I hear ya about the nostrils. I will certainly watch that next time.

Hopefully I can get her to sit again! haha

ETA - ok, i lied! I did change some settings. I thought that all of these were from one batch but they aren't. That would explain the exposure. I guess I have to work on consistency (among a million other things!) haha
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    But what cute nostrils! It almost makes up for it! She is sooo adorable! I bet you just have to squeeze her all the time just cause she is so cute!

Qarik pretty much hit it on the head as far as C & C stuff...

But keep#3... I just love that one. Hang it. Do it. Right Now.

(I am bossy by nature.)
    edited March 2, 2009
    Thanks! I love #3 as well but the oof eye kinda bugs me... nobody else sees it?
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    What cute girl!! In technical terms, i like #1 the best. It appears that lighting is better, and interesting expression. #2 is a quiet "hot", too much light on her face, but i'm sure you know that!! :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
    edited March 2, 2009
    Hehe, I didn't think that it was too hot on her face so it's great that you point it out. When I view it on my laptop it looks bright, but not too bright. When I look at them on my screen at work, they are all quite a bit darker! I am not sure how to find out which monitor is telling me the truth! I guess I need to calibrate?
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    My one small suggestion, is that you blacken the pupils in her eyes...look at her left eye in the first one, actually both eyes. Also please number them. It makes CC so much easier. Your daughter is way cute...I know you are proud of her. (I don't mean that the catch light can't appear in the pupil area...but when it is so large that it covers the pupil...in my opinion, it is best removed.)

Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited March 2, 2009
    Yeah! I was wondering about those catchlights being right in the middle. She kinda looks like an alien, the poor kid! haha

I really appreciate the feedback guys. Now I have some ideas of what to do the next time.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Grly wrote:
    Thanks for the comments!

I am not sure what's up with the exposure levels. I didn't change anything while shooting this but she was moving around A LOT! She was in love with the umbrella and kept wanting to touch it, sometimes getting very close so that could be why some are so bright and others not. Perhaps I will try adjusting them. I really didn't do anything in PP other than crop and some minor adjusting.

I hear ya about the nostrils. I will certainly watch that next time.

Hopefully I can get her to sit again! haha

ETA - ok, i lied! I did change some settings. I thought that all of these were from one batch but they aren't. That would explain the exposure. I guess I have to work on consistency (among a million other things!) haha
    Something else that might explain the exposure issue is her moving around. If you are working with the light quite close to her face, your daughter movving just a couple of inches toward (or away from) the light would account for a huge change in exposure (take a look at the inverse-square law for more on this). All that being said, it shouldn't be too much of an issue to bring the exposure on her face under control in post.

OK - enough of that. Let's talk about how seriously cute these are. I think I love 'em all, even the "up the nostrils" shots. They are all soooo good, but my favorite has to be #3 - just love the expression and the tongue sticking out.

Way to go Mom!clap.gifthumb
    edited March 3, 2009
    Thanks a bunch! I am sure I will be bugging you guys with more pictures of her soon :P
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Grly wrote:
    Thanks a bunch! I am sure I will be bugging you guys with more pictures of her soon :P
    OMG - I don't know how we'll bear up under the load :D but I'm sure we'll manage somehow!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Grly wrote:

I'm late to the party on this, but I think they are all beyond adorable! The lighting is clear with pretty modelling shadows, they're nice and sharp (eyes are dead on and beeeyootiful!), and the focus is on the seriously cute subject.

I also think that background works really welll for you - what is it, just out of curiosity?

thumb.gifclap
    edited March 3, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I'm late to the party on this, but I think they are all beyond adorable! The lighting is clear with pretty modelling shadows, they're nice and sharp (eyes are dead on and beeeyootiful!), and the focus is on the seriously cute subject.

I also think that background works really welll for you - what is it, just out of curiosity?

thumb.gifclap

Awww thanks! Would you laugh if I told you it was a shower curtain I found on sale for 13 dollars? haha
    edited March 3, 2009
    OMG - I don't know how we'll bear up under the load :D but I'm sure we'll manage somehow!

rolleyes1.gif Well thanks for making me feel welcome!