Skateboarding Shots

RPFhotoRPFhoto Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited March 3, 2009 in Sports
Hello, I have been looking at this forum the past couple of days, and I can't wait to start participating. I recently purchased a New Canon Rebel XTi, it is my second DSLR, but the Canon is so much better for me than the Nikon I had. Here are some pictures I took of a local skateboard kid the other day. Critique appreciated, since this is my first venture into skateboarding shots. I already have in my head that I am going to shoot lower on the tri-pod the next time I go out.

cropimg0162po0.jpg
cropimg0159kp0.jpg
cropimg0161gt2.jpg
cropimg0162xz6.jpg
img0171ri5.jpg
img0172qf6.jpg

Let me know if I uploaded too many.

Comments

• manganosmanganos Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Decent shots. The lighting I'm sure was difficult to shoot in. I'm out your way a bunch. Sarah's Creek :)
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Why a tripod? Tell him to get that hat off his head so you can see his face.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • RPFhotoRPFhoto Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 2, 2009
    donek wrote:
    Why a tripod? Tell him to get that hat off his head so you can see his face.

Are you asking why I used the tri-pod? I actually don't know, I just thought that was the best way to capture the skater, and the playground at the last spot we went to. I will try to shoot withut it next time. Thank you.
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    RPFhoto wrote:
    Are you asking why I used the tri-pod? I actually don't know, I just thought that was the best way to capture the skater, and the playground at the last spot we went to. I will try to shoot withut it next time. Thank you.

It's very difficult to track focus if the camera is stationary and the subject is moving.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Welcome to the wonderfully addictive hobby of action photography. A few comments if you plan on doing another shoot:

1. built-in or external flash? An issue with most of these shots is the flash was too powerful and washed out the color (i.e. the reds are very faded). I can't remember if the built in flash has Flash exposure compensation (FEC) or not. If you're shooting with external flash then either use FEC or manually set power output.

2. Backgrounds. Looking at these the background doesn't really help the photo at all. It's more of a distraction than anything else. This is a problem with sports photography in general. The easiest thing to do to improve this is your framing. Given your subject is more vertical than horizontal, shoot in portrait orientation if you want to eliminate background and frame tighter. The other thing to do is use longer focal length/wider aperture to blur the background.

3. location & subject. Even with everything else done right it would be difficult for these images to be interesting. A skateboard park, or more daring rider using railings, etc would provide more interesting subject matter. Think of it like this - a shot of my 10 year old niece riding her little pink bike isn't going to make for a great sports shot no matter how well I master the technical aspects of the shot because, quite frankly, she's not going to be doing anything interesting from a sports perspective - compared to say a 12 year old ddoing dirt racing. Or, going to the local tennis court and shooting a couple hacks playing - no matter how good you do, it's tough to come up with shots as interesting as you'll get when you photograph true competitors. Hope that makes sense.