Ameena Dove

TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
edited March 8, 2009 in People
This Sunday, I had the pleasure of working with Ameena again. If you recall, she played the 'wife' in my 'Lay offs' project. She was great to work with.

I don't have a studio or many backdrops, so I had to get a little creative with the PP. Let me know what you guys think, posting a few highlights from the 5 sets we did.

Set 1 Business as usual

483601749_VXkMS-L.jpg

483601720_Tvr8g-L.jpg

483601633_ymX32-L.jpg

483601772_Zhm9w-L.jpg

Set 2 Bad Girl

483602128_DDKBX-L.jpg

483601969_KQhpR-L.jpg

483602023_D9gk5-L.jpg

483602191_RDkUj-L.jpg

Set 3 Hippy

483602696_UDU8u-L.jpg

483602563_WmYjz-L.jpg

483602468_SRpaD-L.jpg

483602673_NhrQi-L.jpg

Set 4 50's Swimsuit
483602840_jHyGn-L.jpg

483602778_3J626-L.jpg

483602804_pdcqg-L.jpg

483602903_GsHip-L.jpg

Set 5 Beauty and the Beast

483603020_UakTb-L.jpg

483771174_JbpQz-L.jpg

483603126_GVYiY-L.jpg

483603330_ZQcCt-L.jpg

Some candids

Frank is funny!
483603228_52Avn-L.jpg

The heather feather pose
483603162_ye7ih-L.jpg

The prep
483602719_tTxcM-L.jpg

Frank is so funny! LoL
483602134_zF645-L.jpg

Sorry for the alarming number of pictures. As you can tell, I'm pretty happy with how these came out. I'm working on acquiring nice clean long backgrounds. What do you guys recommend? Paper, velvet, cotton? All help would be great!
Frank Martinez
Nikon Shooter
It's all about the moment...

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    some good stuff in there. thumb.gif #1 from set 5 is my favorite. Excellent. The shadows in the 1st 2 shots *wags finger*
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    some good stuff in there. thumb.gif #1 from set 5 is my favorite. Excellent. The shadows in the 1st 2 shots *wags finger*

Lol Qarik. I could just imagine you, with your eyes closed wagging your finger. Thanks. The ones with the shadows were actually setup shots. But I decided to add them because I found it funny that there was a thread in the big picture and a photographer used a similar method. I'm sure Andy will get a kick out of those two shots if he ever makes it to this thread.

After going back to the thread, I noticed that they edited a bit of the shadows. lol. They don't look as bad as they did when I first saw them. Hahaha.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    The keeper here is Set 4, #1. Though I don't think the strange vignette is working so well, I'm not in love with what is happening to her leg and shoes.
    edited March 3, 2009
    The keeper here is Set 4, #1. Though I don't think the strange vignette is working so well, I'm not in love with what is happening to her leg and shoes.

That shot was so hard to save, so I had to get creative. The bottom of here shoe has some black crazy soles that over powered the image. Guess that's why that's one of the rules. So I did some kind of cartoon fade to reality, which came out better than the original shot. A tighter crop would have taken away from the feel.

I seriously need some good back drops. What do you use Scott? I also read somewhere that your boy is coming home, latest August!!!clap.gif
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    That shot was so hard to save, so I had to get creative. The bottom of here shoe has some black crazy soles that over powered the image. Guess that's why that's one of the rules. So I did some kind of cartoon fade to reality, which came out better than the original shot. A tighter crop would have taken away from the feel.

I seriously need some good back drops. What do you use Scott? I also read somewhere that your boy is coming home, latest August!!!clap.gif
    Backgrounds - my most successful has been against seamless white when I did a high-key shoot.

Most of my studio work, to date, has been pretty low-key and I shoot against dark (usually black) fabric. My favorite has been black velvet. I think I'm going to be looking into some suggestions made by DivaMum in another thread about sources for cheap fabric.

The last word we got from Matt is that rumor has a return date of anywhere between June and August. Time will tell. The down side is that, what with the way things are going, he'll be home for a month or two and then be turned around for Afghanastan. Thanks for remembering! bowdown.gif
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    Nice job. I am liking #1 and #3 from set 5, also Heatherfeather pose from Candids.
    LadyTX
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    Some real nice shots and processing going on here Frank. #1 is a nice pose but the above angle isn't working....I only mention it cause I just kept looking at it..not that it matters...Laughing.gif

I like the variety of takes you have here. Some playful/fun and some elegant/cool. Thanks for sharing.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited March 6, 2009
    Thanks for all the nice comments guys. I'm trying really hard to improve. Slowly but surely I'll all get the things I need to make it all look professional. And the practice of course. LoL.

In regards to the backdrops, seamless paper sounds like it could work great. I'll have to look for some samples...
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    Late to the party as I've been sporadic posting this week, but wanted to pop in and say thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

I really enjoyed these AND the layoffs - some great shots. I really love the Heatherfeather pose (!),a nd the first bw Beauty and the Beast, but really, I think I love all of them except maybe the first of the batch - those high-waisted pants + the higher angle make her look like she has no torso (not sure anybody with a great figure like that needs to hide them under those flowing pants - I think the more formfitting styles really flatter her more)

Great job!
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    What! There is a heatherfeather pose? I am just glad it wasn't the one with the middle finger... Laughing.gif! Maybe I should redo my avatar........ but maybe not.

Trevlan, you are really improving! Some of these are really nice! I do have to agree with the Diva about those pants... AND she has a nice little shall we say....wedgie.... in some of the photos that pretty much ruins it all the way around. I don't know, maybe guys like it, but me, not so much.

I do love that top she is wearing though. Especially in #3. It is so classic looking. Great job on the photo too. (Watch for cropping body parts, though.)

Keep on shooting buddy!
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    I agree with a lot of what's been mentioned...nice job all 'round! (I think it would have been easier if you had just numbered straight 1-24...it's just easier than figuring out what set we're talking about. :D)
    1-1 - I agree that the high angle, especially with this outfit, removes her torso.
    1-3 - one of my faves...I like her expression, the light, the comp
    5-1 - another fave...as well as the heatherfeather
    She has a gorgeous smile and her skin is dreamy. Very nice processing on that!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited March 7, 2009
    What! There is a heatherfeather pose? I am just glad it wasn't the one with the middle finger... Laughing.gif! Maybe I should redo my avatar........ but maybe not.

Trevlan, you are really improving! Some of these are really nice! I do have to agree with the Diva about those pants... AND she has a nice little shall we say....wedgie.... in some of the photos that pretty much ruins it all the way around. I don't know, maybe guys like it, but me, not so much.

I do love that top she is wearing though. Especially in #3. It is so classic looking. Great job on the photo too. (Watch for cropping body parts, though.)

Keep on shooting buddy!

LoL. You definately have that pose down. LoL. When I saw that picture, it was the first thing that came to mind. I agree on the top angle shot, but that's what she wanted. She's already small to begin with. Should have maybe shot from a lower angle to make her look taller.

This progress was credited to the thread Elaine started with the strobes and lighting. If it wasn't for that, I would still be exposing for ambient. Thanks to all!
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • lyttlevietlyttleviet Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2009
    Great pictures! A couple things I noticed, the first set makes her look short as noted by someone else previously, the arm pit area definitely needs some smoothing, and her close ups are VERY flattering. She has beautiful skin and bone structure so when those are highlighted, it really makes the photo "pop"!