dss#20 CC please...

VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited March 3, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I am making time to enter this round, been very busy as of late with work and family matters... good news though, my daughter was accepted to MICA (Maryland Institute College of Art) now comes the hard task of paying for it, $40,000 per year... She has applied for 2 of MICA's scholarships, fingers are crossed... we are accepting donations though if anyone is feeling philanthropic... :D

Any way I went with my Daughter and her friends for some paint ball fun on Sunday... and below is what I come up with for chaos... I like the first one best because of the panning motion blur of the bg... I have another photo shoot pending, I sent email to the owner of an abandoned commercial greenhouse operation with trees growing straight through the glass roofs and walls... I have wanted to shoot this for a long time... still waiting on his reply...

Thanks for looking and commenting.

483800275_DQUnq-L.jpg

483799310_cGy2V-L.jpg

483798416_Uig5G-L.jpg

483800995_cgWaG-L.jpg

Comments

• karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    I agree with you on #1 -- It's my favorite of the group. :D

Karl
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 2, 2009
    I think one is good...but if #two would have not had the branches in the imediate forground it would have been my pick.thumb.gif
  • TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    #1 for the motion capture but all others are great too
    Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    I prefer #1 but I'd like to see what it looks like in just plain B&W. The current post-processing makes it look oversharpened -- at least on my monitor that's how it looks.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    #1 says it all....

$40k? it could be worse......:D
    im crossing fingers on the grants and such for ya...
    Aaron Nelson
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    I prefer #1 but I'd like to see what it looks like in just plain B&W. The current post-processing makes it look oversharpened -- at least on my monitor that's how it looks.

I'll give it a try... without the oversharp treatment...
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    oops, i forgot the punchline... it could be worse....you could be sending twins ......
    Aaron Nelson
    edited March 2, 2009
    #1 says it all....

$40k? it could be worse......:D
    im crossing fingers on the grants and such for ya...

Not much it couldn't... It could be a lot less! but noooo my little princess had to go to the Harvard of Art colleges! :cry Seriously though I am very proud of her wings.gif
    edited March 2, 2009
    As per Linda's suggestion... the first one without the oversharp look... and a new one I just noticed...

483899701_ZCdQr-L.jpg

483900441_2TvnZ-L.jpg
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Your new find is interesting, it almost has a 'tilt-shift' feel to it. Both are fun shots and I'd be torn between the two. I understand there's little that can be done, but the branch across the body in the new shot could be distracting. You might try removing or at least minimising it in PP if you have the tools.

To me #1 has more of a sense of chaos. Something about the body language, trying to do many things at once, says "Oh Sh*t!!!". Whereas in #2, the subject seems to have purpose thus not so chaotic. If any of that makes sense... ne_nau.gif

ETA: Is there anyway for you to pull out the details of the camouflage uniforms? It would help isolate the subjects in both for me and add another dimension.
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    I agree with michswiss, #1 definately has more of a chaotic feel and bringing out the camo might add to the image. A selective lightening and drop in contrast might do it if you have the tools.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    IMO the subject in #1 stands out better against the background without the sharpening. I agree with AndMan about bringing out the camo with some selective lightening. The new one you posted is OK, but I feel that #1 has more of a chaotic feel to it. The new one has just a running man on it, whereas in #1 he is running, has his hand on his weapon, and is ready for action.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    I love the sense of chaos and motion, but something about the lack sharpness makes me slightly seasick. It's one of those photos that I really WANT to love, as well, because the idea is good, comps is fine, it's interesting and draws me in to figure out more about what's going on, I like the bw treatment.... Can't quite put my finger on the "what" that distracts/disturbs me, but something does. ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif
    edited March 3, 2009
    Thanks all for the CC... I can lighten the camo, no problem... I'm still waiting on this other shoot with the trees growing through the greenhouses... I hope I can get permission to shoot it...

Winston