Snowy Road - Looking for C&C

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited March 8, 2009 in Landscapes
Please give me some thoughts on this one. I shot it on an outing during my trip to Maine. At first I thought the power line was distracting, but the more I look at it the less I am bothered: the pole follows the line of the trees and the wire follows the line of the road. It's not as crisp as I'd like, but then my shots never are. (I really need to get some training! :wink )

My brother and I went riding around in the woods and also took a long walk along a groomed snowmobile trail. Only saw two riders and they didn't provide much excitement to shoot. We saw lots of turkeys--I will try to post some shots later. Also saw a bobcat run across the road but it was gone before either of us could grab a camera. My brother found the tracks but they didn't make much of a shot either. So, it was a great day, great family time, resulting in some so-so photos but some wonderful memories!

Thanks, Lauren

483952608_ExtrC-L.jpg

As an afterthought, here's another from the same road:

481963783_p9FKh-M.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    The power pole doesn't bother me that much. What I would like to see is some contrast in the snow. I think the detail is there but it's just washed out right now.

I like the second the best. There is some texture in the snow but increasing the contrast may help.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Thanks, Tom. I'm never sure how much to boost contrast, and whether I should do it in Aperture, ACR, Photoshop or some combination thereof. (I'm still having trouble getting a solid workflow in place.) My thought when I looked at both shots was also, "they need contrast." I guess the beauty of shooting RAW is that there are "do-overs!" I'll work some more PP and post any improvements.

Thanks,
    Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    I like the first one, and agree with Tom, a little more contrast. there is also some good color there with the evergreen on the left, and the left over leaves on the right.
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • Grampa DougGrampa Doug Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    I think the power lines add a lot to the story. They tell me someone lives nearby and they have to travel through some pretty country to get there. Reminds me of when I lived in the sticks.
    edited March 5, 2009
    Thanks, Grampa!

Still working on a different version of these road shots--if anyone has specific suggestions of how to bring out the details, please tell me. I'm not happy with anything I have tried so far.

Photoshop CS4, Aperture, Photomatix, are all at my disposal.

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    Lauren,
    I like the first shot better. There is more depth and points of visual interest. That said, it is not all that compelling, very little drama or strong visual markers. The powerpole does diminish the naturalistic qualities of the shot.
    Actually the most significant negative is the brown color of the road from the mud and debris. If you could change it to black or gray it would be more attractive. Brown and white just don't go well together.
    Just for kicks, consider converting the shot to black and white.

M
  • PhotopaddlerPhotopaddler Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    I like these shots they realy tell the story of the Maine Woods in winter quite well. The powerline thing is not very distracting to me and trying to find a road without lines on it is almost impossible up here so it is best to try and make them work in your shots.thumb.gif
    edited March 7, 2009
    Thanks for your continuing comments. Here are two new versions. This version of #1 seems softer than the first version but a bit more colorful. I actually got the book out and did my Aperture adjustments based on that. What do you think?

1. Increased contrast and local color enhancement to green on left and to road and brown leaves.
    486722718_sECtU-L.jpg

2. B&W version, based on the new (above) color version.
    486723883_xT9qD-L.jpg

Thanks,
    Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2009
    I like #2 a lot, Lauren (I mean the #2 of the original pair in your original post). It's quite unpretentious yet gently keeps your eye held.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2009
    I like the composition and the story, with or without the pole, but I can't get past the brown snow. The other thing you could try is selecting the brown part and desaturating it. I don't know if it will work here or now but I used it once to get the brown out of a waterfall and it worked very well.
    edited March 8, 2009
    Neill - What a lovely description of #2 (original). May I use it when I post/print that shot? :D

Chris - I will try to clone out the brown and let you take a look. I am always hesitant to change colors in my images, but I will give it a shot. Thanks for the ideas.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com