Polar Bear Swim - Oyster Bay, NY

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
edited March 3, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I went up to Teddy Roosevelt Park in Oyster Bay, Long Island, on Sunday for a Polar Bear Swim. It was the 5th annual swim in OB, as a fund raiser for the United Cerebral Palsy Association of Nassau County. A large group of brave (or misguided) souls braved the cold temperatures (both in and out of the water) to raise funds for a good cause.

Sparky, mascot of the NY Islanders hockey team, as well as a local polar bear pose with a couple of the organizers.
483381013_ZzR22-L.jpg

Some of the participants and organizers - the white-haired lady in the middle is a former co-worker of mine. Her husband Lenny used to organize the swim in the past. He passed away in November, and the event was dedicated to his memory.
483385100_SGCdp-L.jpg

483391046_H3ye3-L.jpg

The first one in (and out!) of the water.
483390256_NJ48S-L.jpg

483392967_zHjEZ-L.jpg

483398696_Dcxj2-L.jpg

Not all the photographers stayed on the beach.
483394838_TZCJn-L.jpg

483393996_XW2VY-L.jpg

He wasn't waving, his arm was frozen in that position.
483397482_ufY3F-L.jpg

Don't forget your rubber ducky!
483396967_HMqtp-L.jpg

Drying off, and warming up, after the swim.
483394332_EbsYE-L.jpg

The only way to go into that water!
483389706_JUR5J-L.jpg

She was the last one out, must have spent 10 minutes in the water. Even the rescue guys were getting cold!
483401369_nwhfJ-L.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    moose135 wrote:
    I went up to Teddy Roosevelt Park in Oyster Bay, Long Island, on Sunday for a Polar Bear Swim. It was the 5th annual swim in OB, as a fund raiser for the United Cerebral Palsy Association of Nassau County. A large group of brave (or misguided) souls braved the cold temperatures (both in and out of the water) to raise funds for a good cause.

Sparky, mascot of the NY Islanders hockey team, as well as a local polar bear pose with a couple of the organisers.

Some of the participants and organisers - the white-haired lady in the middle is a former co-worker of mine. Her husband Lenny used to organise the swim in the past. He passed away in November, and the event was dedicated to his memory.
    The first one in (and out!) of the water.
    Not all the photographers stayed on the beach.
    He wasn't waving, his arm was frozen in that position.
    Don't forget your rubber ducky!
    Drying off, and warming up, after the swim.
    The only way to go into that water!
    She was the last one out, must have spent 10 minutes in the water. Even the rescue guys were getting cold!

Ohhhhhhh how COOL rolleyes1.gif literally rolleyes1.gif
    What a great Polar Bear outfit, I love it clap.gif
    Santa doesn't quite look the same with short pants on hehehe!

You had a good turnout considering how cold it was,
    they're braver than me.

I love the Polar Bear and the Towel with the Bears on best thumb.gif
    All for a good cause, looks like you all had a fun time,
    thanks for sharing .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin