Options

Security Vulnerabilities in CS?

rob featurerob feature Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited March 3, 2009 in Finishing School
My antivirus program (Kaspersky) keeps singling out Photoshop CS as a security risk. I'm using XP Pro by the way with all the latest updates. I eventually get to this bulletin by Adobe which directs me to update CS2 or CS3. I'm using neither. I'm using CS. And I can't upgrade at the moment.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Don't go downloading random JPEGs off the web. Good advice in any case.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2009
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Don't go downloading random JPEGs off the web. Good advice in any case.

The bulletin actually addresses Bitmaps (BMP, .DIB, .RLE). Still good advice on the JPEGs though. I just couldn't find any way to patch it. I'm not seeing much support for CS through Adobe.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Might disable Kaspersky and run the free version of AVG or AVAST! to see if there is a prob when they run........I have had no such warnings from AVAST! ........ and currently running PS7, CS and CS2
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Might disable Kaspersky and run the free version of AVG or AVAST! to see if there is a prob when they run........I have had no such warnings from AVAST! ........ and currently running PS7, CS and CS2

The problem they are referring to is real, but in your control. Carefully crafted malicious JPEG files break your computer's security (by running unwanted code embedded in the file) when opened by older versions of Photoshop and many other applications. Running Photoshop on your machine is only a problem if you open one of these problematic JPEGs. As long as you only open files from your camera and sources you trust, it won't be a problem. However, if you like to make mashups of anything you find anywhere on the web, you could get into trouble.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2009
    LiquidAir wrote:
    The problem they are referring to is real, but in your control. Carefully crafted malicious JPEG files break your computer's security (by running unwanted code embedded in the file) when opened by older versions of Photoshop and many other applications. Running Photoshop on your machine is only a problem if you open one of these problematic JPEGs. As long as you only open files from your camera and sources you trust, it won't be a problem. However, if you like to make mashups of anything you find anywhere on the web, you could get into trouble.

Food for thought. I do occasionally dig for a body to put a friend's head on or v/v. I'll be rethinking that policy in the future. To be clear, the antivirus hasn't picked up on anything like that yet...just warning me about the potential I suppose. I'll certainly be more careful.

Thanks for the replies thumb.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    LiquidAir wrote:

I had a trial V of Kasper and took it off because it was saying my raw files were malicious files as I down loaded from my card thru card reader:D ..... that is why i was sugesting what I did......yeah I had my butt kicked a couple of years ago with a very malicious jpg from a friend.....got him too the next day.........luckily forme I had just used Migrate 7 to make a new "C" drive so I R&R C drive and did a new migrate after a full reformat.......... and I do not pull from the web for any of my projects ..... either I shoot what I will need or beg an artist to draw what I need with my tablet or on paper and I just shoot it........:D

But I do see how some people like to play with others images.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website