My first attempt at HDR

Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
edited March 3, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
So I recently upgraded to the D90 and the AEB function is just nothing short of awesome! This is of the Whidbey Island coast. Let me know what you think! These were all processed using Photomatrix Pro

_DSC0017_8_9_tonemapped.jpg

_DSC0032_3_4_tonemapped-1.jpg

_DSC0035_6_7_tonemapped-1.jpg

Comments

• R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Hi, #3 for me. I like the bold colours, especially in the reflection - and the different layers of the clouds.:D
    Cheers, Richard.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    #1 does it for me. I like the foreground rocks leading into the scene and the more muted colors. The person walking the dog really adds perspective to the scene.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Nice HDR results. Both 1 & 2 images are fine shots. Especially 1. thumb.gif
    Michael
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    R.Jay wrote:
    Hi, #3 for me. I like the bold colours, especially in the reflection - and the different layers of the clouds.:D
    Cheers, Richard.

Thanks for the comment! I have been shooting at this location about 10 times now and every sunset has been different. Now that I have the AEB ability they just came out 100 times better! I like #3 because I think the layers of colors were just amazing!
    edited March 3, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    #1 does it for me. I like the foreground rocks leading into the scene and the more muted colors. The person walking the dog really adds perspective to the scene.

I have to agree with you! Out of the whole series #1 was my favorite! The rocks just tied the whole shot together.
    edited March 3, 2009
    DaddyO wrote:
    Nice HDR results. Both 1 & 2 images are fine shots. Especially 1. thumb.gif

Thanks for the comments Daddy O. I haven't shot too many HDR in the past because the lack of AEB. All the images just came out blurred with ghost affects. This D90 is just amazing to me. The step up from the D60 was huge and I am glad I did it!
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    I like all three. The colors in #3 are beautiful, but something about #2 draws me to it; it may be the panoramic feel that looks very natural.

Regarding the AEB you mention, what was so special about it with the D90. Were the shots a quick burst with exposures automatically adjusting +1, -1, etc. Or does the D90 do something different?
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
    edited March 3, 2009
    aj986s wrote:
    I like all three. The colors in #3 are beautiful, but something about #2 draws me to it; it may be the panoramic feel that looks very natural.

Regarding the AEB you mention, what was so special about it with the D90. Were the shots a quick burst with exposures automatically adjusting +1, -1, etc. Or does the D90 do something different?

Thanks for the comments! Im glad you liked all 3!

In response to your questions. The AEB function helps because manually dialing it in took too long and things moved causing bad results in the end. Some shots worked but none of these would have worked well with the D60. Also the AF and metering on this camera is hands down way more superior to the D60. The camera as a whole is better at everything! Does that answer your question or should I go into more detail?
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Thanks for the comments! Im glad you liked all 3!

In response to your questions. The AEB function helps because manually dialing it in took too long and things moved causing bad results in the end. Some shots worked but none of these would have worked well with the D60. Also the AF and metering on this camera is hands down way more superior to the D60. The camera as a whole is better at everything! Does that answer your question or should I go into more detail?

I get it. Sounds like it takes the normal 3 or 5 shots sequentially, adjusting exposure between each. I just wasn't sure if the D90 had some trick where all the shots might taken with one click of the shutter. mwink.gif
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
    edited March 3, 2009
    aj986s wrote:
    I get it. Sounds like it takes the normal 3 or 5 shots sequentially, adjusting exposure between each. I just wasn't sure if the D90 had some trick where all the shots might taken with one click of the shutter. mwink.gif

Oh ok just making sure I answered your question! It would be nice if my camera could do it all in one shot though! A good thing with Photomatrix Pro is that you can do a single exposure HDR though!