My first picture post!

boolsachoboolsacho Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited March 3, 2009 in People
Hi, everyone! I am very new to this.

Thanks to this project by Angelo, http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=115977 , I was fortunate to go on a portrait shooting with Colleen.

Here is a picture I have processed.

I am a total noob, so please forgive my noobness :D

CC more than welcome please :D

img5472edit1.jpg

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    The good:
    • At this size, it looks like you nail the focus
    • I really like the composition. I don't know that the context is significant to her, but it adds a lot to the shot. I also like that you have given her a lot of room in which to breath.
    • It appears this was done in a house of worship - her attention seems to be on the alter(?) where is should be
    Things that detract:
    • The color cast. Next time, shoot a gray card and use that to establish either a custom white balance or use it to correct the color cast in post processing.
    • The upper right (and the associated shadow) - don't know what that is, and that's the problem. It distracts attention 'cause I'm trying to figure that out.
    • The three sticks in the lower right - Clone those things out.
    • The pew end in the center of the shot .... hmmmm .... don't know what to do about that except to say, get rid of it next time.
    • I might crop out the pew end along the left edge of the frame.
    • Is is under-exposed a bit?
    HTH
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    hey, I recognize that dgrinner :D

It was fun shooting w/ you as well. Given how dark in was within the mission chapel, this came out pretty well. Scott has made some good points. I agree about the color cast. Too bad I didn't think to pull out the white balance card I keep in my backpack rolleyes1.gif

You might be able to take care of several of Scott's nits by simply cropping the photo. Take a bit off both the left and right, removing the bit of the last pew and the sticks/decoration in the upper right, by cropping off the bottom towards my hands.

I also looked at some of the other pictures you took and hope to see you post some of them for comments as well.

cheers,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • boolsachoboolsacho Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 3, 2009
    The good:
    • I really like the composition. I don't know that the context is significant to her, but it adds a lot to the shot. I also like that you have given her a lot of room in which to breath.
    • It appears this was done in a house of worship - her attention seems to be on the alter(?) where is should be
    Things that detract:
    • The color cast. Next time, shoot a gray card and use that to establish either a custom white balance or use it to correct the color cast in post processing.
    • The upper right (and the associated shadow) - don't know what that is, and that's the problem. It distracts attention 'cause I'm trying to figure that out.
    • The pew end in the center of the shot .... hmmmm .... don't know what to do about that except to say, get rid of it next time.
    HTH

Thanks for the serious comments!

I went for crossprocessing, but I guess it came out not crossprocessed. :cry

I will try to fix all of them! :D
  • boolsachoboolsacho Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 3, 2009
    Frog Lady wrote:
    hey, I recognize that dgrinner :D

It was fun shooting w/ you as well. Given how dark in was within the mission chapel, this came out pretty well. Scott has made some good points. I agree about the color cast. Too bad I didn't think to pull out the white balance card I keep in my backpack rolleyes1.gif

You might be able to take care of several of Scott's nits by simply cropping the photo. Take a bit off both the left and right, removing the bit of the last pew and the sticks/decoration in the upper right, by cropping off the bottom towards my hands.

I also looked at some of the other pictures you took and hope to see you post some of them for comments as well.

cheers,

C.

Thanks, Colleen!

I will definitely post them more!
  • nxthreenxthree Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    The good:
    Things that detract:
    HTH
    I agree that it might be underexposed, but I think it helps to set the mood. I also noticed that there's a camera sitting next to her on the pew with the flash backlight on. A little distracting, but luckily it kinda blends in with the decoration.