Options

Does elements 6 have a sparkle effect?

jwtruth35jwtruth35 Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited March 4, 2009 in Finishing School
I am pretty new to using editing software of any kind, but I have gotten pretty used to elements now so I can do basic editing, skin softening, etc. But I'm trying to find a sparkle effect like you see sometimes where it looks like the light hit the diamond on the wedding ring just right and gave a little sparkle. I've seen some guys doing this, and the ones that are more subtle I kind of like.

I'm still such a newby with editing that if it's an action to download or something like that you would probably have to explain like you would to Forest Gump. I have never done any real special effect stuff or any adding downloads to my pse6.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    TGAllenTGAllen Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    jwtruth35 wrote:
    I am pretty new to using editing software of any kind, but I have gotten pretty used to elements now so I can do basic editing, skin softening, etc. But I'm trying to find a sparkle effect like you see sometimes where it looks like the light hit the diamond on the wedding ring just right and gave a little sparkle. I've seen some guys doing this, and the ones that are more subtle I kind of like.

I'm still such a newby with editing that if it's an action to download or something like that you would probably have to explain like you would to Forest Gump. I have never done any real special effect stuff or any adding downloads to my pse6.

Thanks

Try Filter>Render>Light Effects. I think you'll find what you are looking for if you choose Omni from the drop down. You'll have to play with the settings to get the right size and effect.
  • Options
    TGAllenTGAllen Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    TGAllen wrote:
    Try Filter>Render>Light Effects. I think you'll find what you are looking for if you choose Omni from the drop down. You'll have to play with the settings to get the right size and effect.

Well, once I got home and tried this, it was bad advice. I think you'll have better results if you do the filter>render>lens flare or you can go to your brushes and choose a crosshatch brush (under assorted brushes) in white. You'll have to play with it to get it just right.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2009
    TGAllen wrote:
    Well, once I got home and tried this, it was bad advice. I think you'll have better results if you do the filter>render>lens flare or you can go to your brushes and choose a crosshatch brush (under assorted brushes) in white. You'll have to play with it to get it just right.

Thanks a lot. I just got a chance to try it, and this one definitely will get used in the future since I was able to get a nice realistic looking shine. It made me think of a few applications right off the bat that it will be perfect for. What I'm actually looking for though, is that goofy looking sparkle effect where it's pretty much just made up of a verticle white line, and horizontal white line. Kind of like how the guys who do airbrushing do sparkles. Some that I've seen also add the shorter diagonal lines in each corner of the cross. Sorry about the bad description the first time, but not really since I'm going to get some good use out of the other trick as well.
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    I hven't tried myself, but I'm sure if you do a web search for "photoshop elements star brush" you should find what you need. I did look at the built in 'Assorted Brushes' (CS4) and it seems like the larger crosshatch is just what you are asking for like TGAllen suggested. There is also a Starburst that might be useful in that set. Remember you can put the crosshatch on it's own layer and tilt the layer to get the lines angles the way you want them.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2009
    darkdragon wrote:
    I hven't tried myself, but I'm sure if you do a web search for "photoshop elements star brush" you should find what you need. I did look at the built in 'Assorted Brushes' (CS4) and it seems like the larger crosshatch is just what you are asking for like TGAllen suggested. There is also a Starburst that might be useful in that set. Remember you can put the crosshatch on it's own layer and tilt the layer to get the lines angles the way you want them.

Thanks again guys