win xp-64 installation tips?

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited March 4, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
So I'm planning to install Win XP 64-bit as my OS this weekend.

I realize I'll be hunting down 64-bit drivers for a while (and my main app, CS4 is supported) but anything obvious I may be overlooking?

I'll install it on a "clean" drive and I'm also installing a new motherboard and CPU.

Seems fairly easy-- install the MB, CPU, blank HD, then boot with the XP 64-bit CD, right? Again, just curious if anyone has any experiences that I might learn from (ie mistakes to avoid!) :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    dogwood wrote:
    So I'm planning to install Win XP 64-bit as my OS this weekend.

I realize I'll be hunting down 64-bit drivers for a while (and my main app, CS4 is supported) but anything obvious I may be overlooking?

I'll install it on a "clean" drive and I'm also installing a new motherboard and CPU.

Seems fairly easy-- install the MB, CPU, blank HD, then boot with the XP 64-bit CD, right? Again, just curious if anyone has any experiences that I might learn from (ie mistakes to avoid!) :D

Just be sure you have all the drivers for the important (network!) stuff on hand, see if you need a RAID-driver for the installer.

After that installation is just like any other XP, except that service packs come from Windows Server 2003.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Just be sure you have all the drivers for the important (network!) stuff on hand, see if you need a RAID-driver for the installer.

After that installation is just like any other XP, except that service packs come from Windows Server 2003.

Cool. Thanks. I had thought about the network drivers but I'll check on the RAID-driver.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+