Options

Tricky PS Question

Rcphil8Rcphil8 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited March 5, 2009 in Finishing School
Hello,

I have (I think) a tricky need for PS. Imagine an image that is 4x6 on a canvas that is 8x10. Now I want to add a color fill layer to part of the canvas and add a stroke to the 4x6 image. That's the easy part. Then I want to align the visible edge of the 4x6 with the edge of the color leaving three sides with a stroke visible over the color fill. My test of this does not snap to the visible edge of the 4x6, it snaps to the outside of the stroke. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    It would help if you could post a screen shot or two to illustrate the problem.
    John Bongiovanni
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    Rcphil8 wrote:
    Hello,

I have (I think) a tricky need for PS. Imagine an image that is 4x6 on a canvas that is 8x10. Now I want to add a color fill layer to part of the canvas and add a stroke to the 4x6 image. That's the easy part. Then I want to align the visible edge of the 4x6 with the edge of the color leaving three sides with a stroke visible over the color fill. My test of this does not snap to the visible edge of the 4x6, it snaps to the outside of the stroke. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!

There area lot of ways to do this. here's one:
    1. create a new layer between the image and the colored background.
    2. select this new new layer as your active layer
    3. select the whole image (ctrl+click on the image layer)
    4. modify the selection by expanding it the number of pixels or mm or inches you want the border to be x2. for example, for a 1cm border, expand the selection by 2cm
    5. edit>fill (with your border color)
    6. now you will just have to remove the border from the side you don't want
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2009
    Thanks Lisa!

I followed your steps to create the image as shown. I used Select>Modify>Enlarge to create the white image border. The color is a separate fill layer and my background is empty (white). I think that is what you were explaining. Is there a way to make the corners square so that they are not 45-deg. angles?

Thanks again.
    -Ralph
    stroke_question copy.jpg
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Rcphil8 wrote:
    Thanks Lisa!

I followed your steps to create the image as shown. I used Select>Modify>Enlarge to create the white image border. The color is a separate fill layer and my background is empty (white). I think that is what you were explaining. Is there a way to make the corners square so that they are not 45-deg. angles?

You'll have to manually select the corners. The easiest way to do that is to select the whole area.
    1. make sure snap to guides is on
    2. create a guide (by dragging from the appropriate ruler) for each side of the current border rectangle
    3. use the rectangle marquee tool to select the newly formed rectangle of the guides
    4. press delete or File > Clear
    5. fill the rectangle with your border color.
    the attachment shows one corner of the rectangle after it is selected, before filling it.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2009
    Thanks Lisa, I'll give it a try!