First portrait

chilidogchilidog Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited March 4, 2009 in People
OK here is my first portrait attempt. I'm a total n00b so any help is appreciated.unsharp321.jpg

Comments

• chilidogchilidog Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 4, 2009
    OK obviously need help with posting. HELP
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    could you post a larger image please?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    I guess it would help if you coulbe be more specific with regard to to what kind of help are you looking for. Posing? Lighting? Dressing? Postprocessing? ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • chilidogchilidog Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 4, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    I guess it would help if you coulbe be more specific with regard to to what kind of help are you looking for. Posing? Ligh
    ting? Dressing? Postprocessing? ne_nau.gif

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps help is the wrong word. Looking for any feedback about the image, just trying to learn.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    chilidog wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. Perhaps help is the wrong word. Looking for any feedback about the image, just trying to learn.
    That also require at least some idea of what your intentions were... Without them it would go something like follows:

A head and shoulder enface portrait of a young female subject. Short blond hair, round face. Dressed in a white coat with hood covering the head. Portrait is taken against a pink background (wall) located right behind the subject.
    Lighting setup apparently consists of one flash unit located above and slightly to the right of the camera (batterfly), with small or no diffuser. The level of the ambient light is very low (dilated pupils).
    The subject is depicted in a very tense state, which shows both by facial expression and the hands clutching the coat.

Batterfly setup is not typically used against round-faced subject unless for special effect. Same goes about enface position. If the idea was to create a flattering image 3/4 head turn and short lighting would be more beneficial.

Pink wall doesn't play well with white outfit IMHO, and the outfit is blown out (no details).

Skin tones seem to be OK (although my monitor at work is not calibrated) and properly exposed, the facial features are in focus and sharp.

----
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"